Chapter 14

I'm breathless from pumping my bike pedals and thinking about how strange life can be. As if being an albino kid bouncing around the country like a pinball from place to place and school to school weren't challenging enough, things have become even more absurd. The prettiest and most popular girl in school has asked me to spy on her boyfriend who may be cheating on her, and she may have a big secret problem with her mother. Because I'm curious, I keep wondering what kind of problem? Serious? Abusive father? Physical violence? I can make myself crazy, thinking so much.

On top of this, I've lied to Judy, who deserves better. Why do I feel so guilty about this stuff? I hate that, too.

And my own parents are acting weird. Why is my mother so sad? What does my dad need to tell me? What's going on with them? I feel like I'm living in a soap opera.

I arrive at the stop where Randy caught the connecting bus the other day. I secure my bike to a nearby lamp post and await his arrival. I adjust my itchy wig. Checking the time on my cell, I know this is about the time Randy caught the bus a few days ago. But it's Saturday, and the schedule may be different. My stomach is doing flip-flops.

The bus pulls up and a few people emerge, including Randy. My heart skips a beat. My palms are sweaty. This is a new sensation. Why am I so nervous? What's wrong with me?

Am I nervous about following Randy? He's not even looking my way. Like before, he is waiting for the connecting bus, hands jammed into his pockets. He paces. I wonder what's on his mind. Is it Kathleen? Is it Denise? Have I blown my cover?

While I'm pondering these mysteries, a bus marked "Express" pulls up and Randy hops aboard. I follow, pay the fare and make my way down the aisle to the rear where I can keep an eye on him. I'm not losing him this time. No way.