Chapter 25

The receptionist gives me a funny look, like she doesn't believe me. The corners of her mouth turn up.

"Oh, I see. Too bad he didn't introduce you. What is your name?"

"I'm, I'm Cindy." I force a wide smile. "I'm a friend from school. Would it be okay, if I joined him?" I pick up the pen, about to sign my fake name.

"Normally, it would be. However, I am surprised he didn't wait for you. That is, if you're really here together." She stabs me with a sharp look, grabs the pen from my hand and places it on the table out of my reach.

I glance past the desk and down the hall. Randy's vanished. Poof! So much for my surveillance.

• • •

I leave the clinic, without stopping to use the restroom, although I need to. After that disastrous conversation, I may have to abort this spying gig. If the receptionist mentions me to Randy, and he tells her he doesn't know any blondes named Cindy . . . Could it be that he's cheating on Denise with a blonde named Cindy? That would be hilarious.

I head off to the bus stop. I'm disgusted and don't give a crap about anything anymore. Then it hits me: I'm not off the hook. I still have to answer to Denise. I still have a job to do. So I hang around.

My sunscreen/makeup has its limits. And hanging out on streets in seedy neighborhoods isn't good for my makeup—and it's not my idea of fun. I fit the definition of a loiterer. Go ahead, Google it.

While searching for a Starbucks, I settle for a mom-and-pop convenience store. I order a cherry Coke from a huge woman with a bulbous red nose. I wonder if her name is Rudolph.

"We have black cherry soda and Coke," she grumbles. "But no cherry Coke."

"Okay, I'll have plain Coke."

"What size?"

I pull out my money, setting aside what I need for the bus. I hand her what's left. "Whatever size this will buy me."

Slowly, the woman counts the coins. She has more trouble with math than Judy.

She shoots me a look.

"What?"

"This isn't enough for a small Coke, kid."

It sounds like an accusation. And I hate being called "kid."

The huge white lady stares down her wide red nose at me and waits. I stare back at her behind my dark glasses. I think about taking them off. Just for kicks.

"Could I have a cup of water instead?" I ask in a low voice.

"We serve water to paying customers. Buy something and I'll give you water."

I grab a pack of gum. "I'll take this and a cup of water, please."

The fat lady gives me a nasty smile. "You little smart ass," she mutters, grabbing my change and ringing up the sale.