Chapter 46

We say our goodbyes and run to catch the bus. We hardly talk, but it's okay. I like this friendly kind of quiet. We don't have to chatter about a lot of meaningless stuff to prove we're smart and like each other. On the ride home, I'm thinking, I need to tell Randy the complete truth, because that's what a real friend would do.

But first I need to warn Denise. Because I'd like to be her real friend, too.

I turn to Randy. We're sitting in our favorite spot in the back. He's next to his window, staring out, and I'm next to mine. The breeze ruffles my hair. "I just wanted to thank you," I say.

Randy shrugs. "Sure."

"Thanks for helping me get into the rehab place. I enjoyed meeting your dad, too. And thanks for being so nice when I found out about Zack."

Randy waves a hand. "Don't worry about it. You were nice enough to listen to my problems. What kind of a friend would I be if I didn't help you?"

Except I lied to you, Randy. I haven't told you everything. Like about Denise, your own girlfriend. She is your girlfriend, right?

At that moment, I realize Randy's never mentioned Denise. I wonder if he's told her he wants to break up. Could that be why Denise had me follow him?Might that explain why she thought he was cheating on her? Because she couldn't stand the idea that he'd simply lost interest in her. Plus, Denise has all these secret problems with her mother. And she feels like I'm her only real friend. And here I am—the most ridiculous spy who ever existed, who has developed a crush on her possible ex-boyfriend, who thinks I'm his friend for all the wrong reasons.   

***** 

Thanks for reading this. If you enjoy the story, please vote and tell others about it.

You can connect with on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/debbimackwriter/

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/debbimack

Or check me out on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/debbimacktoo/

And here's my website: http://www.debbimack.com/

I'll post more chapters later. On Sun., July 24. Catch you later! :)