Chapter 44

The wall clock tells me it's time to leave. Randy's father walks us to the door. He gives Randy one last hug then turns to me.

"Portia," he says. "Feel free to come by anytime to talk. Anytime you like." He hugs me.

As we leave the building, I think about Zack, the guy who sells the used books. I want to tell him who I really am. He knows me as a redhead. I just know I want to talk to Zack, wearing my real hair. "Randy, I'd like to stop at the bookstore across the street. They sell old books and stuff."

Randy smiles. "I like old books. We can hang out for a while. But not too long, because I need to get home for dinner."

"Thanks, Randy." I'm smiling like crazy. I remember Denise and feel terrible. But what does Randy see in Denise? I would ask, but I'm afraid. We cross the street and step inside the shop. The place is as cluttered as when I was here before. And it is still dusty. I adjust to the dim light and look around. No Zack.

"Hello?"

A slim woman with long, dark hair emerges from the back. "Hello. I'll be with you in a moment," she says.

She disappears. Randy and I exchange looks. I wonder where Zack is. Who's this lady? His daughter? She seems much too young to be his wife.

Of course, who am I to judge anyone else? I spied on Randy in order to befriend Denise. In the process, I developed a crush on him. What kind of friend does that?

The woman reappears and walks over. "Hi there. Sorry to keep you waiting. How may I help you?"

"I was hoping to see Zack," I say. And who are you?

"Were you a regular customer?"

"I only met him once, but he was so friendly." And why are we talking about him as if we were at his funeral?

The woman blinks and rubs her eyes. A few tears run down her cheeks. "I'm sorry. This is difficult. I'm Zack's granddaughter. Zack died yesterday morning. Our family is getting ready to close the store."

"Oh, no . . ." My voice trails off. I scan the shop, hoping Zack will appear from behind a stack of books. This can't be happening.

"We have to close the store. Business has been off for some time. My grandpa kept it going because he loved it."

My voice is a whisper. "I just met him," I say. "I can't believe he's gone." 

 The woman touches my shoulder. "Honey, I know it's hard. But it's part of life. Things get old. People grow old and eventually die. There's no escape."