A window was thrown open to a beautiful sunset in a medieval town: Jia, Illiara.

The red-gold sun peeked over the horizon of an ancient forest; massive, wild, untamable. The backlit trees seemed to glow with life; ash, oak, and pine alike.

Below, the cobblestone streets of Jia bustled with early morning activity. Smoke ascended from the chimneys of thatched-roofed cottages. Women walked to the well to gather water, and men hurried to the market. Muted voices lifted to her ears; trades in the early market. Bread for egg, honey for milk. . .

It was hard to see the faces from the window, but the elfra could pick out many familiar faces . . . Marion the jam-maker . . . Helio the hunter . . .

The girl breathed in the gorgeous air of a sunrise. A soft morning breeze fluttered through her short, blond hair. A smile slowly illuminated her porcelain features. Her slightly uptilted sapphire-blue eyes snapped into focus, brimming with excitement and energy.

She raced down the wooden stairs, her bare feet padding softly on the hard surface. She paused, smiling, as she spotted the kitchen table. The elderly elf sitting there looked up with a smile, his uptilted amber eyes greeting her warmly.

"Good morning, Faelen!" she sang.

"Good morning, Elise," he replied, smiling gently.

Elise skipped down the rest of the stairs and plopped down next to Faelen. The table was covered with pears, apples, oranges, strawberries, peaches, blueberries, blackberries. . . and different types of sweet breads: cinnamon, banana, blueberry. . . all that an elf or elfra could want. She helped herself to a heaping plate piled with sweet bread and berries. Still grinning, she popped a strawberry in her mouth and swallowed it. The sweet taste of it brought memories of treks through the forest, brimming with berries, with. . .

The pungent smell of frying meat drifted through the window from a nearby cottage and reached her nostrils. Elise wrinkled her nose. Faelen made a slight face as well. They each knew what the other was thinking. Who could eat something that had been alive and thinking before? Elise could not even dream of eating it; a quality of her half-elf heritage.

"You're in a good mood this morning," commented Faelen. "May I inquire why?"

"It's just so beautiful outside!" sighed Elise happily, turning around and gazing the brilliant blue skies and fertile green fields, being hit by the soft morning light, visible from the window behind her.

"Indeed it is." agreed Faelen, glancing at the window across the room. His pointed ears twitched faintly, a sign that he heard something strange This did not bother Elise, as it happened every morning.

They lapsed into silence for a while, eating the delicious array of fruits displayed on the table.

"Any meetings today?" asked Elise.

"No, but there's one tomorrow. You're going to it, too," he continued before she could sigh.

"Huh? Why would I come?" queried Elise. Only elders were allowed at the Illiaran Council. Period. Unless. . .

"It's about your trade."

Elise's heart sank. Of course.

She had no trade master.

Well . . . she had, but the sickness had taken him, along with her mother and father.

She couldn't remember it, of course, that terrible time. She'd only been 6 months old at the time. Faelen had told her the story many times.