A plume of dust filled the beautiful building. Elise coughed and turned towards the commotion.

A guardsman barreled his way through the remains of doors. Ochido glared at him angrily. "What have you done to the‒"

But the guard's eyes were alight with terror. "They're coming! They came in the caravans! They're com‒"

He was cut off as an arrow protruded through his abdomen. He gasped and slumped forward, clutching the arrow, but he managed one last word: "Run."

A storm of soldiers of burst out of the doors, thundering toward the meeting

There was a second of shocked silence. The blood of the guard soaked into the floor and the soldiers screamed in satisfaction, but in eerie unison. Then everyone realized what they'd just seen.

Pandemonium reigned. The Council members ran to the beautiful windows and smashed them frantically. Some part of Elise registered the breaking of the windows as a sad and regretful act, but the rest of her was fixed on one thing‒ escape‒ as she joined the mob.

Ochido hesitated a second too long, torn between his duty and his want of survival. A spear caught him in the chest, and he crumpled to the ground.

Elise froze, transfixed on the gruesome sight. She hadn't liked him much, but he was . . . gone. How could he be? She must have stood there for several seconds, petrified, staring at the pool of blood now staining the intricate floorwork.

Someone shook her shoulder frantically, their voice registering to her from far away. "Elise. Elise." She turned, startled. It was Faelen, his eyes filled with anxiety. "Run!" he said urgently. "RUN!"

Elise slipped out of her trance and her mind switched to run. Adrenaline coursed through her body, and she leaped through the shattered window.

Looking back to see if Faelen had followed, she caught an awful glimpse of the carnage behind her. Men and women alike were sprawled on the beautiful floor, bleeding or already dead, lying in pools of blood. Strangely, though, the death didn't seem to bother her now. Her mind was not hers; it was an animal's. Survive. Run. RUN!

Thankfully Elise caught sight of Faelen in her peripheral vision, ahead of her. She turned in relief, then gasped once more.

The soldiers were everywhere, slaughtering everything they saw. Men, women, animals, it didn't matter. Her anger rose to a boiling point as she saw soldiers killing defenseless old men and children. They weren't any threat! Yet they mowed them down easily, with no hint of emotion in their eyes.

Faelen shook her again, jolting her out of her stupor. "Go," he said. "We have to get to the house."

With a flash, Elise understood what he was saying. Their good weapons were at home. The only weapons Elise carried were her package from the trademaster, the dagger and arrow.

They turned and ran down the street toward their home, dodging through shortcuts and alleyways. Elise had never realized just how far the house was from the Council building. That's not really something you think about until it matters. They moved with speed and agility, dashing through passages expertly, like only elves and elfrä could.

As they turned a corner, Faelen slammed right into a soldier. Elise jumped back in surprise, flattening herself against the wall. The soldier and Faelen had both toppled over, but Elise knew that the soldier wouldn't be down for long. She stifled a scream. Faelen was weaponless!

The soldier jumped to his feet, drawing his sword. Faelen was still on the cobblestoned ground, and Elise knew he wouldn't get up in time. She instinctively backed even closer to the wall. She wanted to close her eyes, but she couldn't.