Once more brimming with happiness, Elise walked outside to find Theodore waiting.

"Please, can we go to the lake?" asked Elise.

"No." Theodore said firmly. "Do you want to go to the Elder Tree?"

"Sure!" The Elder Tree was an ancient tree. It was unique throughout the earth; it was the last of its kind. Nobody knew the name of the species. They simply called it the Elder Tree.

After a brief hike through the forest, they came to the towering tree. The tree trunk was as wide as Faelen's house, which was around 8 fathoms across. The branches extended the width to twice the width of the trunk. The gnarly grey limbs were perfect for climbing. The long, red-orange pine needles were prickly, but that was a small price to pay for the stupendous view on top.

As always, Elise felt tiny and insignificant next to this ancient beauty. The tree had stood for millennia, and probably for many more. It was very sturdy. It did not flinch before lightning, and the winds were no match. The only reason the rest of its kind had disappeared was for lumber.

"Race you to the top?" challenged Theodore.

"Sure," replied Elise, even though she knew that he would win. He was a full elf, so he was strong, agile and fast, while her only trait as an elfra was agility. But it always was close, so she let herself believe she might win.

"Ready, set, GO!" they said in unison, immediately pressing their feet into one of the grooves and heaving themselves on the first limb.

Elise decided she was going to try to get up as fast as she could. She managed to get a grip on the tree trunk. Scrambling for a handhold, her gloved hands chanced upon a knot in the bark. She quickly heaved herself up higher. Putting one foot before another with surprising grace and agility, she climbed up the tree swiftly.

Exhilaration swept through her body, and she found herself moving even faster. A breeze kissed her face as she gained confidence. She was going to win!

Instinctively glancing downward to see where Theodore was, her stomach swam, and she struggled to maintain her grip. Elise silently berated herself. No matter how good of a head for heights you had, the tremendous distance would make anyone flinch. Unfortunately, by stopping and looking down, she had wasted precious seconds. Theodore was right at her heels.

Pushing herself much farther than ever before, Elise managed to climb even faster. She was ahead, and she could see the sky. They were very close to the top. If she could stay ahead just a little longer, she could win.

Suddenly, Elise could not find a grip ahead. A large piece of bark splintered beneath her foot. More wood cracked and she scrabbled desperately. She fumbled for a second, but quickly found one. But the second had cost her. In the brief moment of hesitation, Theodore accelerated, moving far faster than Elise had ever seen him. Theodore easily passed her.

Straining as hard as she could, Elise tried her best to catch up, but it was too late. Theodore had reached the last safe limbs, with her only seconds behind.

"That was close!" applauded Theodore.

"I lost, though," Elise pointed out.

"So? You pushed me harder than ever before!"

"Yeah, but you could've gone even faster, right?" insisted Elise. "Be honest."

"Well . . . probably," admitted Theodore. "But no other species can defeat an elf in a race. Without magic, anyway. That was probably the closest anyone has ever gotten."

Elise considered that. She had never really thought of the fact that no one, elfra or human, could ever beat an elf in a race. It was true, though. Races were one-species-only because of that. In fact, elves were superior in nearly every competition. Archery, strength, swords, you name it.