VIII

Elise, Theodore, Starlan and Tigrae walked along the field towards the river. Theodore talked easily with Starlan, and Tigrae and Elise walked along amiably. He seemed to have forgiven her for "interfering", because now he was all smiles.

"So, what do you like to do?" asked Tigrae. "You know, hobbies?

"Swords, bows, daggers, running, climbing, swimming..." She stopped, realizing he was looking at her, amused.

"Quite a list, isn't it?"

Elise rolled her eyes. "And what are yours? Fighting people who 'dare challenge the finest swordsman in Illiara?' "

"Don't forget winning. I always win."

"Don't believe him!" called back Starlan. "I've seen him beaten ten times in this month alone!"

"By people who are no longer alive!" shot back Tigrae. Starlan looked down, and Tigrae looked horrified at what he'd just said.

Elise squeezed her eyes shut. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Think about...dragons. Right. Dragons breathe fire. Wait, not fire...

It was no use; the images of the attack enveloped her mind. Soldiers everywhere, fire, and death. The deaths of innocents.

Don't think of Faelen. ANYTHING else. Flowers, berries, anything. The image of the golden berries suddenly sprung forth in her mind, and the sweet taste filled her mouth. Slowly the images faded, leaving only a lingering remnant behind.

Starlan, Theodore, and Tigrae still looked lost in the memories. Quickly, Elise grabbed three berries and put one in each of their mouths. Theodore immediately came out of the memory, thanking her silently. Starlan and Tigrae were also jolted out not long after.

"What was that?" asked Starlan.

Theodore shrugged. "Just something to distract you. I think it's a 'I'm not expecting it to taste good' so it cheers you up. It doesn't really make the memories go away, though. Just helps you concentrate."

"We're running out, anyway," pointed out Elise. "We'll just have to get used to it." She cringed at how cold that sounded. "Sorry. But you know what I mean..."

Starlan and Theodore nodded. "It's alright."

Tigrae rolled his eyes. "Yes. We all understand, and we're all fine. Well, I am anyway, since I have this great archer brother..."

"I'm NOT your brother!"

And just like that, the tense and sorrowful atmosphere was broken. Starlan and Tigrae continued bickering while Elise and Theodore laughed.

After quite a bit of arguing, Starlan turned to Theodore. "So where are we going, exactly?"

"It's a village by the name of Roklai. We saw Nyracofine's caravan there."

"You saw it?" questioned Tigrae. "How? Even we elves can't see that far."

"Well, there is this very tall tree..." began Elise.

"How tall?"

Theodore gestured back in the direction from whence they came, where the Elder Tree was still visible.

"Oh."

Starlan looked impressed. "Is that the last of the Immanis Trees?"

Elise shrugged uncertainly. "It's definitely the last of its kind, but what it is called I don't know. We simply call it the Elder Tree."

Starlan nodded pensively. "I see. Continue."

"So we climbed the tree and saw the caravan by a village at a bend in the river. Theodore identified it as Roklai," continued Elise. "Honestly, I think he has a map in his mind. He always knows where he is."