A primordial fear filled and encomposed every cell in her body.

Run! RUN!

Her heart sickened as she saw figures fleeing from the houses, only to be slaughtered by the soldiers waiting outside. To her horror, she saw a woman and young child, who had obviously been sheltering in the house, dash out of the house frantically. To her surprise, the soldiers let them pass. Then she noticed that their clothes were on fire.

She shut her eyes quickly. They'd never make it to the well before‒ no. She refused to even think it.

Suddenly she saw his death again. Stabbed in the chest. Sword pulled out and directed at her. Blood on the cobbles . . .

She shook the image away. Regardless, she heard his voice again. "Brave girl. Run. Survive. I believe they might will let you. Remember?"

And then him lying still . . .

Oh, Faelen . . . How can you be dead?

She held back a sob.

The crackle of the advancing fire awoke her from her reverie.

Fire!

This time Elise heeded her instincts.

She turned and ran.

Ran, away from the fire.

Away from all she had ever known.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elise was breathing hard, flying past any soldiers who tried to stop her. Part of her berated herself for her cowardice. You turned and ran! Go back! Avenge him!

But it's fire, she thought weakly.

Turn and fight!

No! Fire!

Once again, fear overwhelmed her.

The word repeated itself, again and again‒

Fire. Fire! FIRE!

Avenge him‒

But her fear snuffed out the protests.

Run.

Suddenly, her mind was ablaze with concerns. What had happened to Theodore? Had her survived? Would he know where to run?

Would she ever see him again?

Was he dead, stabbed in the chest? Or burned beyond recognition?

No. She couldn't think that. If she did, it would break her even more than she already was.

She ran and ran and ran toward her and . . . Faelen's house, and she was not stopped. Finally, she ran out of breath and slowed down. She chanced a look behind her, and she gasped aloud.

Smoke was everywhere, devouring her entire life. One by one, the buildings she was so familiar; the bakery, the blacksmith, the butcher's; went up in flames, adding fuel to the flames. she blinked quickly and, having recovered her breath, kept running.

Eventually she reached her house. To her relief, it had not burned down yet. She dashed inside, down the stairs to the weapon storage, snatching up her bow before smelling smoke. She ran back up, for the first time testing her limits as an elfra. She quickly threw open the door and dashed outside.

As soon as she was out of the house, the wind picked up and whisked something small out of the window. It was a small piece of paper, slightly singed on the edges. Curiosity aroused, Elise lunged and caught it in midair.