Chapter 26

Michael and I ended up at the nurses office. It turned out that I just had a couple of bruises and sensitive spots on my back. The nurse had applied ice and cream just incase anything bad happened to my minor injury.

But now Michael and I sat in the nurses office. Alone. As in just us two. The nurse had to leave but she let us stay if we wanted.

I bit my lip and pressed the melting ice against my back, making me wince slightly. The atmosphere between us became awkward as not either of us could utter a word.

"So um.." I mumbled out, avoiding Michael's concerned gaze. "Yeah" He mumbled. Wow, who knew what this had come to.

First it started as me being the new kid with an enormous crush, then maybe having a chance with my crush, to getting shot down and bullied and now it's ended in an awkward silence.

As if we were fire. Maybe we were a perfect match so that's why we burnt out.

I stared at Michael with a sad smile. Looking at him made me remember what I had gone through in these past few months. Heartbreak, pain, happiness.

Michael stared back at me with the same gaze. I think he knew what was coming too. My hand slowly dropping the ice, letting lost melted water drip down my back; I leant in towards Michael. My lips brushing past his.

But I moved slightly and kissed his cheek ever so softly, not wanting to ruin this tragic ending.

I pulled back slowly and bit my lip. This is the end of something that had the potential to be great. This was the end of the beginning.

As Michael and I stared at each other in an echo less silence, a new feeling was found deep in me. Acceptance.

Acceptance of things that never happened. Acceptance of things that never will be. Acceptance of the things that were. Acceptance of the end.

I gave Michael one last smile before saying what could be the most important words of my life.

"Thank you"