Buying Happy From Shopping Carts

A/N: look at the fucking beauty of this boy

FYI: calum's birthday in this story isn't the same as his actual birthday. his in here is around november.

CALUM

Ashton's behavior didn't change for the next few weeks. He occasionally said a few words if we happened to be standing beside each other, but he would leave before I was able to start a conversation. His anger is gone completely, leaving only the shell of hurt behind. I've tried to apologize for the imaginary text numerous times, but each time I try he moves out of earshot.

Luke was right, of course. I've already got a boyfriend who loves me, and I shouldn't be selfish enough to believe that more than one person could care for me. I've learned that now.

We're on okay terms, I suppose, but it's not the same as it was before. It's not nearly the same. I feel like something is always weighing down on my shoulders.

Either way, Luke still insists on celebrating my 22nd birthday as though it were the most important one of all. He loves throwing parties more than anything, and any excuse to invite the families over to mull over expensive wine and talk about politics is one he will take.

My birthday falls on a Sunday this year, thankfully, so I don't have to worry about going to work. Luke woke me up this morning with an upbeat Happy Birthday and a startling, deep kiss, and then he had me get up and help him with the preparations.

Luke decorated the house for the party, extravagant ornaments and diamond pieces littering the house as though they weren't worth more than a penny. He set the long dining table with the finest china we have, and he had a cake made with silver and gold colored icing to top the party off. I told him he didn't need to do more than just a cheap banner from Walmart, but he insisted, and what he says goes.

Luke gave me an expensive silver blazer to wear with a white button up underneath for the occasion. It's stiff and feels like it was probably made specifically for this event, but I didn't say anything but expressed gratitude.

Luke and I sit on the couch together, a plate of wine glasses set on the table in front of us. He has one hand resting on my leg while the other holds a glass of wine.

"You're twenty-two," Luke says, his voice light. "How do you feel?"

I think for a moment. Honestly, I feel like I'm supposed to be in my thirties already. These past four years have dragged by like a snail, each day seeming longer than just twenty four hours. I'm not sure how I feel about gaining another year. But when Luke asks, I decide just to stick with: "I feel great."

This seems to please Luke enough, and he lifts his glass to his lips just as the doorbell chimes through the house.

Luke smiles and immediately stands up. I move to get to my feet as well but Luke presses his hand down on my chest, forcing me back into a sitting position.

"Stay here," he says. "I'll get the door."

I slump my shoulders but do as he says, leaning back against the pillows. I watch him as he walks to the door, his shoulders back, chin high. He opens the door to reveal my family, plus Andy. They all smile with joy and noise fills the house, lots of chattering and loud welcomes. I watch them from the couch, dread filling my gut when I see my mother smile happily at all the expensive decorations.

She catches sight of me and she smiles. "Calum! Look at all these decorations!"

I nod, a tight smile on my face. "I see them."

My mother sits down in a chair and pours herself a large glass of red wine.

Next comes my father and Mali. My dad breaks into a huge smile when he sees me, giving me a big, warm hug. "Happy Birthday, son. You're getting so old!" He laughs a little and messes up my hair before taking a seat beside my mother. I can't help but smile a little as I fix my hair quietly.