You Don't Own Me

CALUM

One day later, just as Luke planned, I'm discharged.

Luke brought over some clothes from home, and I change into them half-heartedly in the hospital bathroom. The tiles are white and slippery, and the lights are way to bright to be pleasant. Everywhere I look sends a throbbing headache so I've resigned to staring down at my Vans.

I exit the bathroom slowly, seeing Luke wait for me by the door. He puts his arm around my waist once I reach him, supporting a bit of my weight as we walk down the hallway. We head to the elevator, joining a bunch of other people and doctors in the small space.

By the time we get to Luke's car in the parking lot, my head hurts like hell and my bones are tired. My body feels drained of energy.

I get into the car and rest my head against the window. Luke starts the car and drives down out of the parking lot, throwing concerned glances at me as he does. He doesn't say anything as we drive down the highway towards our house, and I'm grateful. Sound is painful.

We get to our house a few minutes later, and Luke stops the car in the driveway, looking at me with concern. "Stay there. I'll come around and get you."

His voice sounds so gentle, and caring, and I'm too exhausted to interfere as he gets out of the car, coming to my side and opening my door for me. He reaches inside, pulling me effortlessly into his arms as though I weighed less than a feather. He is careful not to touch me where my bruises are, resting my head down on his broad shoulder instead.

I can hear Luke's steady heartbeat as he carries me up to the front door, and I shut my eyes when the sun beats down, the bright light making my head pound painfully.

Once we are safely inside, Luke sets me down gently. "You're okay. We're gonna be okay," He says softly. I wrap my arms around myself and turn away from him, an uneasy feeling setting in my stomach.

I head up to go to our room, but I stop at the landing of the stairs, images of Luke screaming in my face flooding back to me. I stop, regaining my breath. I had tried to push those memories away.

Luke places a hand on my shoulder. "What's wrong?"

I immediately move away from his hand, letting it fall back to his side. Luke looks offended, furrowing his eyebrows. I look back at the landing, remembering the pain shooting through my head as I hit the ground. "You pushed me," I say quietly.

Luke presses his lips together. "You fell," he corrects.

"No, Luke, you pushed me," I say louder, my voice shaking a bit. Luke looks unsure of what to do, just staring at me with narrowed eyes. He stays silent, his icy blue eyes staring into mine.

"I-- I don't know if I can do this anymore, Luke," I say softly, moving away from the blonde. Luke looks confused.

"Do what?"

"This, Luke! Us!" I say, tears swelling up in my eyes. "You scare me. I'm scared to do anything because I'm afraid to make you angry."

Luke doesn't say anything for a moment, looking confused. Then he rolls his eyes and says, "You're not making any sense. Sit down."

My voice cracks. "I love you, Luke. I love you more than anything, but--" I stop, looking down at the engagement ring sitting on my finger. My lungs shudder as I pull it off, desperately throwing it on the floor by Luke's feet.

Luke stares at it in shock. "What the hell, Calum?" His voice raises into a yell, and I force myself not to back down like I usually do.

"I can't do this anymore. I can't," I say quickly, watching him turn on me. His angered face slowly melts into a more desperate one, and his voice becomes stern.