Say A Prayer For The Broken Bones

CALUM

Everyone I've ever known has loved Luke to pieces.

My parents, especially. I think the fact that I'm dating Luke is the only part of me that they like. I'm not surprised, considering Luke's charisma and charm would knock anyone out of the water. But it also has to do with the fact that they've seen me as a disappointment my entire life. Mali was clearly their favorite of the two, adoring her success in the music industry and her endless amount of talent and beauty.

I'm the one that they usually "forget" to introduce when they're at important dinners, or the one that they never talk to their friends on the phone. It's almost like I don't exist in their eyes. That's how it's always been. That is, until I met Luke.

My parents love Luke. Luke has money, plenty of it, since Luke's dad is the governor. Luke is beautiful and charming every time my parents come over. The perfect boyfriend, they call him. And Luke is great, amazing actually. He would buy me anything I wanted as soon as I asked, throws lavish parties for holidays and birthdays. He's sure to give me fancy jewelry and clothing on every occasion necessary, and doesn't hesitate to drive me anywhere I would like in his expensive, almost obnoxious car. Wouldn't you call that the perfect boyfriend?

Sometimes I hate myself for not being thankful enough. Luke is the first person who has shown me he cares about me, considering I grew up without any of that in my house. He showed me love and compassion, and I have the audacity to question it every once in awhile. I should be so grateful for him, enjoying the expensive things he gives me and not second guessing our entire relationship.

I do admit, he scares me sometimes. Especially when he gets angry and starts pushing me around. Whenever he does, though, there's a reason behind it, and it's always my fault, so I can't complain about that. Bruises are acceptable when you are the cause for them, right? That's what Luke tells me, and it makes fine sense to me.

Luke loves me though. I know he does. He pulls me close to him every night when we go to sleep and kisses me with fiery intensity. He loves me, says so as well. Says he couldn't live without me. How could I ever part ways withsomeone like that?

~*~

"I hate visiting her," Luke mumbles unhappily, fixing his collared shirt in the mirror. I stand behind him, already dressed in my long sleeved button down and skinny jeans. "She's hardly a mother. She didn't raise me."

"She doesn't seem too bad," I say truthfully. Luke sighs, shaking his head.

"She left my dad and took custody of both my brothers. That's not exactly a good thing to do," Luke points out. He finishes tidying himself up and he tugs at his hair a bit, trying to make it look at least a bit acceptable.

Luke hates visiting his mother. He's never had a good relationship with the woman, despite how hard she tries to develop one with him. Luke constantly pushes her away, just as strong-willed as his father.

I, personally, don't mind visiting Liz, his mum. She's extremely friendly. The kind of mother you would read about in books. Her personality is vastly different from Andy's in every single way possible. He's loud and demanding, she's soft and lenient. Polar opposites.

"Whatever," Luke huffs finally. He turns around and grabs his keys off the table. "Let's go."

I follow Luke out the door of the house, waiting as he locks the door behind us. Luke wraps his arm around my shoulders as we walk to his car, footsteps stepping over gravel and grass. Luke opens the door for me, like he always does, and I slide in carefully. I wait as Luke gets in beside me and starts the car, pulling out of the driveway and out onto the road.