I'm Dreaming Of A Place To Start Again

CALUM

I wake up a bit confused, opening my eyes groggily as I blink at the unfamiliar ceiling above me. My head hurts significantly less than it did before, and I look around the room tiredly before remembering what happened the day before.

I fall back against the pillow, covering my face with my hands. I haven't even talked to my parents about everything yet, although I doubt they will be too happy that I broke up with my fiancé. Apart from my father, apparently.

I slowly push away the covers, looking around the small room as I do. I was too sleepy to get a good look around last night, due to my eyes being all teary and my head feeling like it was going to implode.

I stand up, feeling swallowed up in the clothes Ashton had me borrow. The t-shirt hangs mid thigh, the sleeves hitting the bottoms of my elbows. The pajama pants are tied in a double knot at my waist and are too long, pooling at my feet. I wrap my arms around myself and open the door quietly, glancing back into the hallway.

I hear noise coming from the kitchen, the sound of clanging and a soft voice humming a song I don't recognize. I step out into the hallway, walking towards the kitchen hesitantly. I look up and see Ashton standing in the kitchen, wearing a fitted black t-shirt and red and black plaid pajama pants that hit low on his hips. He standing over the stove, cooking something in the pan while he hums to himself, drumming wooden spoons against the counter in between stirring. I let a small smile slip on my face at the scene.

Ashton turns around to grab something off the counter, startling when he sees me in the doorway. Then a bright smile spreads over his face and he says cheerfully, "Good morning! I'm cooking breakfast."

I shuffle forward, stepping into the kitchen and hoisting myself up on one of the bar stools against the counter. I watch him with surprise. "I see," I say.

Ashton continues to hum as he cooks, bobbing his head to the music in his mind as he does. He fills a plate full of eggs and bacon, placing a biscuit neatly to the side before sliding it over to me with a grin.

"Eat up," he says happily, turning off the stove and starting to clean up.

I stare at the plate in surprise, picking up the fork Ashton gave me hesitantly. Ashton watches me with an amused look in his face. "Are you not a breakfast person?" he asks.

I look up at him apologetically. "No, it's great! Luke just-- he only had protein bars for breakfast."

Ashton winces. "Another thing we don't have in common."

He sips on orange juice as he wipes the counter clean, and I hurry to shovel the food in my mouth before I give Ashton the wrong idea. Ashton really is a fantastic cook, and I'm no longer surprised that he decided to work at restaurants his entire life. He's definitely good with food.

Ashton leans on the counter, supporting himself by his elbows as he looks at me. "By the way, I have an extra key to my car if you need to go anywhere for anything," he says, sliding a pair of keys over next to my plate. I stare at it.

"I--" I stop, staring at the keys reluctantly. Ashton frowns.

"You don't have to, I just wanted to offer it," he says reassuringly, looking concerned. I shake my head, wincing a bit.

"No, I just... I never learned how to drive," I tell him. Ashton's expression shifts into surprise, his hazel eyes widening.

"Really?" he asks, and I nod affirmatively, feeling my cheeks flush in embarrassment. Ashton stands up straight, his eyes bright. "Then that's what we'll do today. I'll teach you how to drive! What do you say?"