Chapter 2 | Welcome to Juvy

I was extremely hot and tired. I wanted to sleep but the bus kept lurching and jumping over bumps and ditches in the road. There was no air condition and it didn't feel safe to sleep while there were other people who were convicted to the same Juvenile Detention Center as I. I licked my lips and swallowed. I was dying for something to drink.

"Hey," I felt my body tense up. I looked to my side and saw a girl with emerald eyes staring at me. She looked hispanic or latino. Her hair was a dark brown with lighter streaks and it was braided into two french braids. Her face was dotted with freckles across her nose and she seemed to make the grey-blue jumpsuit work for herself. All in all, she was very pretty.

"Me?" I asked, pointing one finger at myself. She rolled her eyes. "Duh. Why are you here?" she asked me. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Uh, to go to the the JDC center?" I said unsurely. Why else would I be here? The girl sighed and shook her head. "No, idiot. Why are you going to JDC?" she clarified. My lips formed an o shape, understanding what she really meant.

"Assault and breaking and entering." I told her. She lifted her eyebrows in surprise. "Huh, didn't think you were really a criminal." she said in a relaxed voice. It bothered me how she talked about one year of my life not being important. How she judged me for not being a criminal. I tried to act tough. "What about you?" I asked her. Her eyes flicked over me.

"Grand Theft Auto and beating my parole officer." she shrugged. I couldn't stop the look of disbelief from flooding my face. She noticed. "What? Your assaulted and broke into someone's house. I only stole my bastard of a dad's car and beat my parole officer. Your just as bad." she told me. "But-" I didn't finish my sentence. But, I had wanted to say, but I didn't even hurt Isabella. The rest of the ride was silent. I avoided eye contact with everybody till the buss stumbled to a stop.

It was just like you would imagine. A tall, brick building with a fence surrounding the entire perimeter of the building. There was barbed wire wrapped around the tops of the fence and there was only a double door beneath a large sign that read:

Georgia County Juvenile Delinquent Center

I was herded off the bus with the other people. As each person stepped to the doors of the bus, a guard would slap a pair of handcuffs into their wrists. They weren't being strict, I guess, because they let out hands dangle in front of us instead of pinned behind our backs. I was the second to last person off the bus, the latino girl after me. My hair was left down and I instantly wished it wasn't. The heat was unbearable and you could see if coming off the ground in waves.

Strands were falling into my eyes as I moved in a line. I couldn't even brush them back due to my hands being chained. I had to deal with it for a good half hour as we waited for our assigned cells. We were sat in a square room which had 10 chair lined up against the creme colored walls and a cherry wood desk across from the door. We were told to sit and not move. No one really talked at first.

But the latino girl spoke first. "Well, this sucks." she said in a bored tone. The boy next to me scoffed. "Shut the hell up, Naomi." he growled. I glanced at him. He was attractive, I suppose. He was built up with thick muscles that budged in his arms and biceps. The upper half of his jumpsuit was tied around his waist, showing the white tank top he wore beneath. His hair was cropped closely into a buzz cut. Naomi glared at him.

"I'm sorry, Tucker, did I hurt your poor baby feelings?" she asked in a condescending tone. I was shocked. How could they talk so freely and nonchalantly? They were going to be stuck her for the next 3 months or more. Down the row of people, a blonde haired girl spoke. "Stop being a bitch." she said in a high pitched voice. Naomi scowled at her. "Stop butting into my conversations, Claire." they both broke into a heated argument. I felt squished between Tucker and Naomi.