Chapter 8| Truth

The next day in unbearably awkward. 

Vincent ignores me, acting as if I am invisible. Naomi continues her strike against me, dragging Tukcer along with her. Jake is well, Jake is Jake. He is still a freaking physcopath. Claire is still a bitch. 

But Vincent. 

Vincent never brings up the kiss but his smug smirk is present whenever he is near me. He clearly remembers and has a stick so far up his ass because of it. It is written clearly on his face that he knows exactly the effect he has on me. 

And it pisses me the hell off.

I avoid all of them like the plague. I rather sit by myself and eat by myself then go through the awkward tension of sitting with them. I eat more, not eating to pass out again. Last time, Vincent ended up carrying me. 

Look how that ended up. 

It is currently "recess" and I am placed on the ground under the shade of of a near by tree. Vincent is leaning on the brick wall parallel from me. Claire is babbling beside him and I have no idea where Noami or Tukcer are. 

This absolutely sucks. 

Just then I feel a small tap on my shoulder. I whip my head around to see Noami standing behind me with Tukcer waiting patiently behind her. "What?" I snap. I have to squint a little to see her face in the sunlight but I manage. 

Naomi visibly flinches and Tukcer places a warm hand on her bare shoulder. She sports a tank top like usual with suit tied along her waist. Her hair is tied up in a tight bun, straining her features. Her eyes are lined with dark rings showing a lack of sleep. Her hands are constantly being twisted with nerves. 

Naomi is scared. 

"Sorry. I am just a little uptight." I apologize. I feel a pang of anger. I shouldn't be apologizing, Naomi and Tucker —

"I'm sorry, okay!" she exclaims, tossing her hands in the air with frustration. My eyes widen a little in shock. "Me too." Tucker adds in with a sheepish smile. 

But Naomi isn't done. 

"I should have trusted you. I kinda knew you wouldn't involve yourself. And if you were, you wouldn't be ashamed of it. I - I was just scared. I made a friend and then she goes and befriends Vincent who has attempted murder!" she rambles. 

"I didn't know what to do. I was just scared." 

Before I know what is happening, Naomi is sobbing into my shoulder with her arms wrapped around me. My arms hang limply for a moment or two, glancing at Tucker who gives me a small nod. I loosely rope my arms around her shaking torso. 

"My grandma is dying Kanin.She is dying and she is all alone and I can't get out of this dumb place to help her." she gets out between breaths. A small cry slips past her lips as she sniffles. I have never had someone cry on my shoulder. 

"It's okay," is all I can get out as she weeps. 

"And I thought," she continued on. She pulled back a little to look in my eyes. "I thought of you were involved with Vincent's little gang, I could get in trouble by association." Naomi lowers her eyes in embarrassment and guilt. 

Oh. 

"I get it." I rub her back a little. "I'm not mad and I understand. Okay?" I try to focus on Naomi but I can't stop reeling over her words. Vincent has a gang?

Naomi untangles herself from me and rises. Wipes the snot from her nose and tears off her cheeks. "Okay, well shit." she chokes out a awkward laugh. "That was embarrassing. I am just gonna go. But we're cool, right?" her eyes drop a little is fear that I might say no.