Chapter 4 | Dinner with the spawn of Satan

I woke up with a start, my breathing heavy and labored. I sat up, feeling like I was choking. I took a deep breath and looked around. 

Where the hell was I? 

The room was hardly lit, only a little light coming from the lamp on a night stand beside my bed. It hit me then that this wasn't my room. I hopped off my bed, panicking. This wasn't my house! I saw another body on a bed across from me.

Who was that?

The body shifted and into view came a familiar face of an angel. Vincent. And just with his soft calm feature of his face, everything slammed back into place. The court hearing, being sent to Juvy. Everything. 

I licked my dry lips and coughed hoarsely.

I was panting, I realized. I swallowed thickly and sat back on my bed. I guess while I had slept, my braids had come undone. My hair was still damp, but it would dry soon enough. I raked my hands through it, combing it out of my eyes. 

"Why are you up?" 

My eye snapped up the Vincent's pale one's. I furrowed my eyebrows, confused on why he was willingly talking to me. "Uh, bad dream." I said, feeling embarrassed. Vincent's eyebrows shot up. "About what?" he asked. 

He was intensely focused on me, leaning on one arm. 

It wasn't a question because he cared. It was a question out of morbid curiosity. I still felt uncomfortable speaking around him because not that long ago he did threaten to kill me then said to kiss him. 

"My mom." I told him. "How's that a bad dream?" he asked more. I looked towards the door, wanting to be out of the closed room. "Just is." 

"Well that isn't vague or anything," he muttered with an eye roll. I glared. "Like you can speak." I scoffed. He sat up completely and smirked. "How am I vague?" he asked, a sick humor on his voice. "Well," I started.

But I couldn't finish. 

Because Vincent hadn't been vague directly. He was honest, at least so far. He answered every question truthfully and that's what gave me the scared feeling. Because I didn't always want the truth.  

Vincent was vague because no one bothered to ask the scary questions. So no one really knew. 

"See? I'm not." he laid back down, closing his eyes. I continued to stare at him, feeling angry at how he was right. I looked away before I could call him another name. 

Time was slow again, and I was feeling unbearably hot. I patted around on my bed till I found the missing hair tie and slipped my hair into a pony tail. But my face and entire body still felt hot.

I glanced back at Vincent, who's eyes were still shut. I decided I could tie my jumper down while he was sleeping at least. I guess you could call me shy but I wasn't exactly comfortable with flaunting my body like Claire. 

I zipped down my jumper to my waist as quietly as possible. I took the two sleeves, remembering how Claire and Tuck had did it before. Now my bra was on full display. I frowned. I didn't like how much of my skin was showing so I quickly took the tank top out of the pocket. 

I slipped it on and adjusted it a little so it wasn't so messy. That was good enough. I took my eyes off my shirt and looked up to see Vincent's eyes actually wide open. 

Oh shit. 

My body felt even hotter knowing I was half naked in front of a guy. And it was Vincent! His eyes raked down me, but not in a lustful way. Or I don't think it was. I couldn't really read Vincent. He frowned when his eyes went back to my shirt.