Chapter 6 | Secrets

Three days. 

72 hours. 

And I hadn't spoken a word to Naomi, Tucker, or Claire. Not that Claire really counted. Nor had I spoken to Vincent. But that didn't really bother me. 

What bothered me was how Naomi and Tucker avoided me. I wondered if Vincent had anything to o with it. But aside that, I had no friends. Jake terminated our courtyard deal, I guess. 

He still glowered at me from across the room and during group sessions, but that was all. 

Oh, group sessions. I hated them, personally. Maybe I would have liked them if I actually had someone to talk with. Claire was still sticking onto Vincent like the leech she was. I tried to talk to Naomi, but she said she couldn't. Same with Tucker. 

I don't know if that meant they weren't allowed to or didn't want to.

I was so desperate for some kind of friendship, I went looking for Ramona. At least she didn't scream at me or ignore me. But she left like she said she was. So, again, alone. 

It was my fourth group session and again, Mrs. Meadow insisted we did 'circle time'. Allow me to explain. Circle time was when we all sat and shared our feelings. Mrs. Meadow said it could be about any feeling or emotion we felt.

She made everyone talk except a select three. Vincent, obviously. Along with Jake and surprisingly me. I wasn't sure what made her feel like I didn't have to share. Maybe it was my fight with Jake, I don't know. 

But of course, this time she made us talk. 

Tucker had already gone, saying his feeling was anger for being told what to do. Claire, choosing the slutty way, said her feeling was wanting for sex. A few guys hooted and cat-called at Claire's emotion, making me roll my eyes. 

Naomi said her feeling was not caring because, well, she didn't care. A few other people went, some saying true feelings which Mrs. Meadow clapped and praised them for. When it rolled to Jake's turn, he argued but Mrs. Meadow said it was mandatory. 

I didn't expect him to answer, but he did. "My emotion is hate for this shit hole." he smirked and leaned back in his plastic chair. With one finally glance at me, he tucked his hands behind his head. "That is good, Jake. I hope to hear more from you in tomorrow's group session." Mrs. Meadow smiled with genuine sincerity.

The red headed girl who was partnered with Claire for cell mates was next. She always talked so quiet, no one really heard. I could only make out one word. 

Sadness. 

And then it was my turn. "Kanin, what is your emotion today?" Mrs. Meadow asked with such glee, it could kill. 

Truth was, I felt too many emotions to say. I was confused why Naomi and Tucker suddenly went cold. I was angry at Vincent for multiple reasons. I was jealous of Claire and her attention by everyone, as much as I hated to admit it. 

I was lonely. 

I was mad. 

"I don't know." I finally spoke. I kept my voice level. 

Mrs. Meadow tsked at me. "I need a real feeling Kanin." I wanted to tell her to shut the fuck up. Instead, I shrugged. "Kanin -"

"I said I don't know!" 

She sighed, disappointed but I had no respect for her opinion on me. But when I heard Vincent scoff, I felt like I wasn't exactly good enough. I looked away and the circle continued. Vincent was last.