Chapter 3 | Day 1

Vincent ignored me the rest of the lunch period. He didn't look, speak, or even glance my way. Did calling him an ass really piss him off that bad? It seemed like a stupid reason. 

After lunch was when we went outside on the courtyard. The guards and other people called in recess, like we were going on the playground.

When in reality, it was a open area with nothing but a few bench presses and pull up bars. Tucker abandoned me when we got outside to go use the bench press and build up his muscles, at least that's what he said. 

I had no clue what to do, really. My feet felt like layers of skin were being ripped off due to the hot concrete comment floor. I hopped from to foot to foot, looking for shade. Underneath the canopy of the entrance is where I could finally relax.

I sat down on the cooler concrete where Naomi came and took a spot next to me. "So, Kanin. How do you like JDC?" she said with a rueful smile. I shrugged. 

"Never expected to like it." I said simply. Naomi nodded. 

"Vincent D'Amore is your cell mate, right?" she asked me. I blinked and saw him, a few yard off, staring at us. "Yup," I said, popping the p. Namoi's brows lifted and she sucked in her cheeks, making a hollow noise.

"Damn. Be careful with him." she warned. I frowned. Two people had warned me of Vincent yet the both were friends with him. "Why? Why are you telling me to stay away but your friends with him?" I voiced my concerns. Naomi looked around, her eyes passing on his dark figure. "Tuck told you what he did, right?" she asked me. I shook my head yes. "That was when he was fifteen. He is seventeen now and was never released. He was supposed to, though, this year. But he beat his cell mate and guard up. His old cell mate is in a coma and the guard is paralyzed from the waist down." she told me.

I didn't know what to say. So I said nothing. "Nobody knows why, but that's why he is here for another year. If he can't pull his act together, he is going to be going to jail. As in real jail. He will eventually turn eighteen." she muttered the last part as if she felt pitty or him. Did she? This didn't make sense on why they were friends.

 "But why do you hang around with him?" I asked her. 

Her eyes dragged over me. "I trust him. He trusts me. But you did something to set him off. I am just warning you, Kanin, he doesn't like new people." she says, very vaguely.

"I only called him an ass!" I threw my hands in the air in frustration. "How is that so bad?" Naomi's eyes widened a bit at my outburst. It caught Vincent't attention and he turned and zones in on me. "Fine, you know what? I'll just say sorry."

 I stood up and dusted my pants off. "No, Kanin. Don't do that, he'll just get mad." she says, tugging me back by my hand. I shook her off. "I have to sleep in the same room as him, I might as well get it over with." I tell her, trying to convince her I was right.

Or was I convincing myself?

I walked to Vincent, feet burning, with Naomi shouting protests at me. I stopped when I was two feet away from him. I opened my mouth but shut it back quickly. I didn't seem to be able to find good enough words to say I was sorry. Vincent scanned me with his eyes and quirked an eyebrow. "Yes?" he said. I gulped.

"Uh," I stumbled in my words, my confidence draining. "I wanted to say. . ." I messed with my hair nervously. "Mmhm." he hummed in anticipation. "Sorry." I blurted. "For calling you an ass." Vincent smirked, finding my discomfort funny. "Why are you sorry?" he asked. I felt my eyes twitch. "Because it wasn't nice." I phrased it more as a question then an answer.

Vincent leaned against the brick wall, and examined me. "Do I make you nervous, Kanin?" he murmured. I was unable to form words, so I settled for shaking my head. His smirk grew, making me feel small.