3

One year ago

Snow was falling all around me. The white powder clung to my hair and clothes. I could see my breath as I huffed, running up the hill. Of all the days to be late, why did it have to be today. The day of my honey's birthday. If only my mother had gotten me up on time.

I continued running, the icy wind stinging my eyes. I pulled my hat down lower, shielding me from the cold. No matter how tightly I held my coat, the creeping cold searched for any opening, chilling me to the bone. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I slowly turned in its direction. There before me stood a gleaming mirror on the side of a department store.

Fear flooded my body. It's just a mirror, I told myself. Just a mirror, I said again. I repeated this again and again. Look away, I thought. I tried to turn my head, willing my body to move. I had to leave, I was late enough already. Fear kept me rooted to spot. Kept me from running. My mind screamed with the blaring of warning bells.

Run, get away...quickly. Why did I stop in the first place? I shouldn't be afraid, its just a huge piece of glass. I tried to rationalize this irrational feeling. It wasn't working. I peered closer in the mirror, staring back at me was my panicked gaze. My heart began to race, goosebumps prickled my skin. Wiping away the sweat from my brow, I tried once again to flee.

My eyes darted to the corner of the mirror. There it was again! Movement in the glass. People walked past me, ignoring the darkness that was beginning to form in the mirror. As the darkness began to spread, all around me became muted. Cars drove down the street, but no sound was heard from their engines. The only sound invading my eardrums were the deafening roar of my thumping heart.

The darkness started to swirl, twisting into grotesque shapes. I licked my lips, feeling the scream crawling up my throat, threatening to fill this suddenly muted world with the horror I felt. They had to see this, I thought. I couldn't be the only one. I closed my eyes. I was still in bed, I had to wake up. I had to escape this nightmare. I opened one eye then the other. Hoping...praying that I would find myself back in my room.

No such luck, there was nothing I could do, the scream pried apart my lips and filled the air with the bloodcurdling noise. This was not happening! No longer could my reflection be seen, instead monstrous shadows stood there watching me. Hate flooded their gaze. I used my hand to silence the scream. I shook my head hoping to clear my vision, praying that I didn't see what I thought.

The shadows smiled, showing their jagged and crooked teeth. It was clear that they were enjoying the fear they caused me. The cold wind howled, blowing hair into my eyes. I placed the loose strands behind my ear, removing them from my eyesight. It was too late, the momentary distraction was what the shadows were waiting for. By the time I glanced back towards the mirror, shadowy hands had approached me.

I was trapped, fear refusing to release me from its grip. I could do nothing but watch, cringing as the icy hands stroked the side of my face. Nails dug into my paling cheek. The air filled with the stench of iron. My blood dripped from the deep scratches the shadowy hands had caused. The pain that followed slapped me out of my daze. I could move again. I used this chance to run.

I ran through the snow, pushing passed the crowds of people. The shadows followed me, chasing me through the reflective glass of the buildings. I darted across streets, trying my best to avoid the oncoming cars. The shadows were relentless. I pushed myself to go faster. I felt a cold hand snake around my leg and yank hard. I was falling. There was a loud smack as my head collided with the snow covered pavement. My vision blurred from the impact and I blinked in confusion.

I turned, trying to kick away the shadow's hand. More hands seized my legs, my frantic kicks accomplishing nothing. The hands pulled, dragging me closer to the glass.

"Help," I screamed. I scanned the area for any help. People milled about, ignoring my pleas. They couldn't see me, I suddenly realized. I reached out a hand grabbing ahold of a 'no parking' sign. The dirty nails' of the shadows sunk deeper into my flesh. I let out a yelp and tightened my grip on the pole. The shadows tugged sharply and my hand was forced away, as once again I was dragged.

The palms of my hands were red and blistered from scraping the ground. I couldn't let the shadows pull me any further. I dug my fingers in the cracks of the sidewalk. I hoped this attempt would allow me the time to think. Only a few seconds were given to me, my fingers were snatched away, leaving behind drops of blood. Pain shot up my arm. I looked down at my hands and realized certain fingers were dripping with blood, the nail bed having been ripped away.

The hands stopped pulling. I looked up and saw that I was back in front of the mirror where I first saw the shadows. The shadowy hands crept around my body, holding me down. I struggled. My body racked with pain, I lifted my head as high as I could. My eyes widened when I saw a shadow slithering up my now weak form. It peered into my eyes and bent closer to my face. A tongue jutted out of its mouth, licking the wounds on my cheek. Its icy breath stinging my face, it whispered in my ear,

"Your death will not be quick. This is just a warning." I cringed at the shadow's harsh voice. "You have every right to fear us," it chuckled. "This is your doing. You have killed us and we will haunt you, tormenting you until your death is near." Before the shadows removed themselves from me, I heard a whispered, "Payback's a bitch, so beware!"

With the shadows now gone, noise suddenly returned to the world. I received disgusted and worried glances from the passersby. I slowly picked myself up and dared a look in the mirror. The girl that stood there staring back at me with haunted eyes was a bloody and bruised ghost of my former self. Despite the pain flooding my body, I couldn't help the smile beginning to form.

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger," I said to no one in particular. I laughed to myself. Killing those bitches to keep them away from my honey, was worth any punishment I would receive. I smiled again, a twisted smile, a mere baring of teeth than a real smile. A frightening scene to anyone that walked pass. I shrugged, wincing at the pain the small movement, turning around I laughed skipping down the street to my waiting honey.