32

Zeke

I could hear my kitten screaming as I ran through the school. Hearing her screams were painful to my ears. What could be happening to her. I race looking through each of the classrooms I pass, trying to find out where she was. I stop as I see Damien entering the girls' bathroom. I slow, walking towards the restroom, afraid of what I might see. I'm angry at what I see happening. Damien is touching my kitten. I stand in the doorway unbeknown to the two of them. I watch as he kisses her, as he whispers in her ear. I hate him.

Damien says something to my kitten before standing. I move out of the doorway and stand against the wall, waiting for him. His shirt is covered in blood. Paisley's no doubt. I hate it. I should be the one who comforts her, not him. He walks out and sees me. I can see him starting to smile.

"Did you see that," he ask. "The kiss I shared with my soon to be girlfriend?" I hate him, I think the words again.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I tell him. He smirks, knowing that I'm lying.

"Sure," he says. "I should let you know that I'm taking Paisley from you." He laughs. It only makes me angry. I will never let that happen. Paisley and I belong together.

"Paisley doesn't want you. You're deluding yourself." He walks over to me, standing as close as could.

"Paisley was made for me, she's mine. We're so much alike. I'll never find anyone else like her. So I'm not giving her up for anyone, not even you." His words only serve to anger me. He laughs. "Get use to it Zeke, she's not yours anymore."

"She's mine," I say again. I hate feeling like this. I feel helpless.

"She's not yours," he screams. "If she was, you'd be willing to do anything for her."

"I would do anything for my kitten."

"Really? Are you willing to kill for her," he snarls, "because I am."

Would I kill for Paisley? How far would I really go to keep Paisley with me? I think back to the burning body of my father. Who did I do that for? I smile. I would do anything for Paisley, even if it meant killing the only person that stands between us. Damien. I know this now. Damien frowns at me. I can see he's trying to figure out what I'm thinking.

            “I would kill for her,” I tell him.

            “Really? Then I guess things just got interesting. The way I see it, we both have a problem. I want Paisley. You want Paisley but only one of us can have her.” He taps his head. “I guess we’ll get to see who’s really willing to kill for the girl they love. I should let you know,” he says going in his pocket, “this isn’t my first time. I watch as he removes a pocket knife from his pocket. I have nothing to defend myself with. I look around the hallway, searching for anything I could use. I see nothing. I refuse to let Damien win.

I dig through my pockets; I can feel the book of matches that are still there. Damien stares at me. What to do, I think. Things can’t end this way. Damien lunges towards me with the knife, cutting my arm as I moved away. “You didn’t think I was actually going to wait for you, did you? How naïve,” he laughs. I feel the first stings from the cut. My blood is seeping into the fabric of my sweatshirt. I shake my head. I have to think of what to do. I look up to see Damien preparing to lunge again. I flinch as the blade of the knife bites into stomach. I’ll die hear if I can’t think of something.

I try to grab for the knife he holds in his hand. My fingers are nicked by it as I wrap them around the knife. Damien’s leg wraps around mine, causing me to fall backwards. My body crashes into the floor of the hallway. Someone had to have heard this, I think. Someone will come. Damien will be stopped. I watch him fall to his knees beside me. The knife is above his head. I’m going to die. I’m not ready. I haven’t told Paisley yet. His hand with the knife is coming towards me. I close my eyes, preparing to enter the eternal sleep, waiting for the tip of the blade to enter my body. It doesn’t come.

I open my eyes to see Damien’s body lying beside me on the floor. I didn’t hear the thump, I should have. I didn’t hear his scream. I look up to see my kitten holding the back of the toilet seat in her hands. It’s covered in blood. No doubt it was Damien’s. I frown as I realize she saved me. I wanted to be the one to fight for her. To protect her but I failed. She offers out a hand to me. I use it to help me stand.

“He’s not dead,” she says.

“What,” I question. She points to Damien.

“I didn’t kill him.” Now that she says it, I can hear his groans of pains. He rolls onto his back.

“Why not,” I ask. She frowns and looks away.

“I can’t.” her only words. It makes me angry. I could see it before she turned away. She’s starting to have feelings for him. I won’t let him have her. I pick up the knife that lies next to Damien’s prone body. Before Paisley can say anything, I fall back to the floor; the knife is plunging into Damien’s chest. He coughs, gagging on his own blood as I continue to stab him. I turn around waiting for Paisley to say something. She stares at me in awe. I turn back to Damien to see he is still clinging to life. It infuriates me.

“Why. Won’t. You. Die.” I say each word as the knife cuts through him. I laugh as the blood flows through his wounds, covering me in it. The more he bleeds the faster the life will drain from his body I bring the knife up once more. It comes down, the blade delving between his lips. I leave it there and stand. I walk to Paisley. A single tear falls down her face. I grab her and pull her to me.

“I love you and I always will,” I tell her. “I couldn’t do this last night.” I hug her as close as I can and kiss her. “Don’t hate me,” I whisper, licking her lips as I kiss her again.