10

I blinked in the early predawn light, my eyes looking around the unfamiliar room. Where am I, I thought. I looked down to see a head full of sandy brown hair laying on my chest. The smile that was beginning to spread turned into a frown, as fury and rage replaced the peacefulness in my body. Damien!

 Paisley had called me last night asking me to come over. She told me how that sick freak came into her room and kissed her. He kissed my kitten. I had to restrain myself from hitting the bed and waking the sleeping girl beside me. Trying to calm myself, I close my eyes and breathe deeply. Of all the things he could have done, harassing her each night. Watching her through the window like some deranged stalker. If I wasn’t so sure that he and his sister had just shown up, I would say that he was the one killing those girls.

 The Police is looking at me when there is a truly f*cked up individual stalking the streets of our town. What is this world is coming to. I sigh. It’s loud enough that it disturbs Paisley, she sits up and watches me for a second.

 “What’s wrong, honey,” she asks. Her green eyes look up at me. I hesitate. How can I tell her that I expected something like this to happen? I want to apologize to her. Every thought that came to me last night when she called were all whispering that this was my fault. I should have told Paisley but the words to try and explain to her the conversation Damien and I had in the restroom, escaped me.

 “It’s nothing,“ I tell her. Adjusting myself, I turn in the bed, my arms surrounding Paisley. “We should try to get some more sleep before we have to get up for the day.“ She smiles and relaxes against me. Soon I hear the steady breathing of the sleep. I would do anything to keep my kitten safe. She doesn’t deserve to be pursued by some guy that she constantly tells to stay away.

Death’s door was opening when I first came in her room and saw the dried blood caked to her hand. A silent prayer was said. My vision going red at the sight of it. Five minutes and warm water to wash away the filth, was what it took to reassure me. If he had hurt Paisley, I don’t know what I would have done. I needed to calm down before I woke Paisley again.

Damien just wasn’t making things easy for me. If Paisley wanted him too. If Paisley wanted him too, I repeat the thought. The very words sound weird to me. I shake the thought away. If Paisley wanted him, I would let her go. I just want her to be happy. My kitten deserves that at least. The arms surrounding the sleeping girl tighten and I relax my body. Two more hours of rest before a day filled with nuisances will invade each of my senses.

 *****

Paisley trailed behind me as we entered the lunchroom. The audible sigh was there, begging to be released at the site that sat before us. The small booth in the corner of the room that was reserved for Paisley and myself was occupied by Damien and his sister. They sat there, heads together whispering. Dominique eyes darted towards us. Her eyes brightening as she waved us over. I scowl at the boy sitting beside her. Dominique is a pretty cool girl. It’s too bad that her brother infuriates me.

Paisley starts to ask, “Why did you st…” She sees what’s sitting at our table. She takes a step back and throws the tray of food to the ground. Sauce and noodles splash on my pant’s leg. The glass bottle of juice shatters on the floor. The students at the table are hushed by the noise. All eyes turn to Paisley. She stares menacingly at them. They quickly turn back around in their seats.

 “Paisley,” I say.

“No! No, definitely not.” She shakes her heads and turns on her heels and leaves. I began to follow when an hand grabs my arm. Behind me stands Dominique. She grins and bats her eyes at me.

“You’re not going to come and eat with us. Please,” she begs. Her blouse is cut low, my eyes wanders downwards. I shake my head. I really should not be having these thoughts. Dominique presses up against me, which brings my eyes back to her. The heaving of her chest makes me want to look back down. “Please,” she says again. I want to. My thoughts start to wonder what it would be like to be with her. I shudder at the thoughts. I’m disgusted with myself. So soon after Trudy’s death. How could I possibly want to be with anyone else?