15

The school building was beginning to crumble. Huge chunks of plaster fell from the ceiling, littering the dust covered linoleum floor. Sirens could be heard from miles away. In one week five bodies had been found. 'What the hell was going on' is what every person in law enforcement was thinking. The construction workers had discovered this new body. With one move of the yellowing panel of the rotting wall, the skeleton was shaken from its hiding place. Screams of the workers rocked the buildings. Strong men jumped back at the rattling of the bones. Strips of moldy cloths hung from the small corpse. As the crime scene workers removed the body from the crawl space they had wondered two things: who was responsible for the body ending up here and why did such a young child had to die.

***********************

Flashback

The sun was baking me alive. Sweat drenched the back of my shirt, as I wipe a few drops off of my forehead. Whose idea was this anyway, I ask myself. Two minutes of silent thinking and I knew why I was standing out here in the blazing sun playing baseball with the others. This was what my honey wanted. He stands beside his new friend Kayden, huddled up, whispering to one another. My eyes watch the two of them. The gaze of my honey flows to me. I smile and wave in his direction. His hand is beginning to raise, his face forming a smile of his own but the action isn't completed.

Kayden touches his shoulder, taking his attention from me. My honey is laughing and smiling at something that stupid boy has told him. My feet are hitting the pitcher's mound I'm standing on. Dirt is flung upwards each time my foot comes down. The ball is a heavy in my hands. I wait for Kayden to pick up the bat. He stands there, twisting the bat in his hands. The bat hits the bottom of his shoes, one quick adjustment to his helmet and he's ready.

The camp leader is calling me. He's telling me to throw the ball. I continue to stand there, my glare focused solely on the boy that threatens to take my honey. I'm rocking back and forth, still hesitating.

"Let's go," the camp leader calls again. "If you don't want to play, you can go sit on the bench with the others." The grip tightens on the ball. I turn to the one who's yelling at me to throw. My brain is begging my hand to toss the ball at the annoying guy. I ignore the feeling. I'm readying to give the masses what they want. The baseball flies from my hands, the path it's taking is heading towards Kayden's legs.

"Ow," he screams when the heavy ball hits the side of his leg. He jumps up and down, he scowls at me. I laugh.

"Ball one," the leader calls. The ball is tossed back to me. Hands wrap around the ball. I let loose it once again. The force behind it spurs the ball forward, it hits him in the stomach, doubling him over. He falls on his knees, grabbing his stomach in an sad attempt to squelch the pain. His yowls causes spontaneous laughter from the kids.

"Ball two." The camp leader then turns to me. "The next time you try something like that again, you're out of here." He walks over to Kayden and bends down, checking him over. "Can you continue," He ask. Kaden shakes his head. He stumbles to his feet.

"I'm fine," he says. Another glare and scowl in my direction. His foolishness makes me laugh. I'm chuckling as I prepare the ball for another throw. This is his just punishment. I aim the ball at his mid-section, he starts to move in order to dodge the coming ball. It curves, quickening as it strikes the boy in his eye, the force of the impact knocks him into the umpire behind him.