An Observer in the Shadows

Hesper's eyes fluttered open from her deep slumber to the familiar sound of Pinch and Pang banging on her door. Hesper groaned. Pinch and Pang were the obnoxious sons of her father's idiotic minions, Pain and Panic. Pinch looked just like his father, Pain. Same purple reddish coloring, and same rolley polley body. Pang was a tad shorter than his father, but had the same blueish-greenish coloring to his skin, like Panic. Pretty much they looked as though they were clones.
       Once the knocking had ceased, Hesper sat up and dragged herself out of from under her . She made her way over to her curtains and pushed them to the sides revealing the whole island in its whole dreariness.
     Home, freak home
     The Isle of the Lost was not a very large island; some would say it was but a speck, certainly much more brown then green, with a collection of thin roofed and haphazardly constructed shanties and tenements built on top of one another, threatening to collapse at any moment.
     Hesper changed out of her pajamas and changed in to her normal clothes. Black leather skinny jeans, a light grey sleeveless shirt with a knotted hemline, black leather jacket, and lace up calf length black leather boots. She slipped on her leather fingerless gloves. Hesper added her own special touch. A Skull Necklace, the only gift she'd ever received form her father, but of course that was years ago. And a bracelet, that held a heart charm on the end. That one was kept hidden under her coat. She ran a broken comb through her mangled pale blue, hair and headed down to the kitchen, where she found Pain and Panic wearing their cooking aprons.
     "Morning, Hesper. Sleep Well?" Panic asked her.
     "Fine, until your sons came banging on my door," Hesper growled.
     "We told them to go wake you up," Pain told her, while mixing a bowl of who knows what.
     "You were going to be late for school," Panic added.
     "And we made you breakfast," Pain held out the bowl he had been mixing and Hesper had to try her hardest not to puke.
     "I think, I'll just stop by the Slop Shop," Hesper said.
    "Alright, but you don't know what you're missing out on," Pain dipped his finger into the bowl for a small helping, and popped it in his mouth, making sounds of delight.
      Hesper grabbed her Skull covered backpack from the table and started to walk towards to the front door. Before she could get there she bumped into a tall figure, causing her to lose her balance, and bump into the wall.
    "Watch where you're going, why don't ya?" Her father, the infamous Hades and former god of the Underworld demanded. He was looking at a book in his hands and walking towards the kitchen.
    "Dad, what are you reading?" Hesper asked her father.
     He looked up at his daughter and closed the book. "Ah, Hesper. You see Pain found this book in the dumpster. Some Auradon resident must have thrown it out. Anyways it tells the stories of all the villains and I was just--."
     "Reading about your section to see if they say anything about Hercules," she said for him.
He grinned wickedly. "See you get me, unlike some demons I know," he gestured to Pain and Panic, who tried to look as innocent as possible. "Sadly, it's as useless as the rest," he sighed, throwing the book behind him, where it landed on a growing pile of books. "Now, get to school and don't forget who you are, deary."
      Hesper nodded. She opened the rickety old front door of their and headed down the creaky steps. Once she walked out the door, she was greeted by about half a miles walk to the main town area. Her father preferred the peace and quiet, though he doesn't get a lot of it with Pain and Panic, and Pain and Panic Jr. around.
      Mostly her father spent time planning. He would try and think of ways off the island, Plot his revenge on Hercules (if he ever got off the island that is), and even contemplate how he could get his powers back. He wouldn't mind being on the Island as much if he still had has god powers, but alas those had been stripped of him years ago. He hated being mortal, even his fiery temper wasn't very fiery anymore.
     After a long walk, Hesper finally arrived in the neglected town and found the slop shop. In front of her in line was a girl with purple hair, wearing purple leather with green patch work. This girl was none other than Mal, the daughter of Maleficent.
      "What do you want?"A goblin asked, demanding her order.
     "The usual, and make it snappy," said Mal, drumming her fingers on the counter.
     "Room for month old milk?"
     "Do I look like I want curds? Give me the strongest, blackest coffee you got! What is this, Auradon?"
     The runty creature grunted, wiggling the boil on his nose, and pushed a dark, murky cup toward her. She grabbed it and ran out the door without paying.
    "YOU LITTLE BRAT! I'LL BOIL YOU IN THE COFFEEPOT NEXT TIME!" the goblin shrieked.
    She cackled. "Not if you can't catch me first!"
    Hesper watched as Mal ran through the crowded streets with her cup of coffee gripped firmly in her hand. Hesper wasn't much of a thief, but she was under no circumstances considered a good girl. Her lack of thieving was made up with her scheming. Besides Mal, Hesper was no doubt the next best at Evil Plots. After all her father had brilliant plans, but they always seemed to fail because of the two bumbling fools, Pain and Panic.
     Hesper's attention was brought back to the goblin when he rudely cleared his throat.
    "What can I get you?" he asked through gritted teeth.
    "Black Like Your Soul Coffee," Hesper said. The goblin prepared the coffee and started to hand the cup to Hesper, but pulled back his hand.
    "Pay first, I'm not taking any chances," The goblin ordered. Hesper rolled her eyes, reaching into her pockets, dumping the loose change on the counter. The goblin scooped it up and handed Hesper her coffee.
      Hesper walked around the town, sipping on her scalding, strong coffee. Even though the coffee reminded her of mud, the warm gooey substance gave her a feeling of comfort on the cold, brisk Isle. Hesper's mind drifted towards her father, and how he always told her that she needed to do more to become a greater villain. He would lecture her, telling her she would accomplish nothing by hiding out in the shadows. Saying the only way to accomplish true villainy was to get out and do something worthy of a God's daughter.

      She tried to think of ways to make herself known, and poke fear into their pathetic mortal bodies. The only problem was that Hesper didn't like being the center of attention. She preferred the shadows, where she could be alone, scheming from afar without being noticed. Hesper vowed that she would do her best to make her father proud of her. It may take some time, but she would do it.