A Smart Little Boy

This Chapter doesn't include much of Hesper, but I included it because it's the first major introduction of Carlos and it also sets up some conflict
     Carlos De Vil looked up from the contraption he was assembling and shot the new girl a shy smile. "It'll be okay. Mal just likes to be left alone," he said. "She's not as tough as she seems. She only talks a big game."
     "She does? What about you?" Evie asked.
     "I don't have a game. Unless you consider getting beat up and pushed around a game, which in a way I guess it is. But really it's not entertaining, unless you happen to be the one doing the beating and the pushing."
     Carlos was smaller and younger than the rest of the class, but smarter than most of them. He was an AP student: Advanced Penchant (for Evil).
     "I'm Evie. What's your name?" she asked.
     "Hi, Evie, I'm Carlos De Vil," he said. "We me once before, at your birthday party." He'd recognized her the minute she walked in. She looked exactly the same, just taller.
     "Oh. Sorry. I don't remember much about that party. Except how it ended."
     Carlos nodded. "Yeah. Anyway, I'm also your neighbor. I love just down the street in Hell Hall."
     "You do?" Evies eyes grew wide. "I thought no one lived there but that crazy old lady and her-"
     "Don't say it!" he blurted.
     "Dog?" she said at the same time.
     Carlos shuddered. "We-we don't have dogs," he said weakly. His mother had had told him that dogs were vicious pack animals, the most dangerous and terrifying animals on earth.
     "But she's always calling someone her pet. I thought you were a d-"
     "I told you don't say it!" warned Carlos. "That word is a trigger for me."
Evie put her hands up. "Okay, okay." Then she winked. "But how do you fit in the crate at night?"
     Carlos only glared. Hesper could hear the whole conversation from her seat and couldn't help but silently commended Evie for taking the opportunity to taunt Carlos with a dog joke. Sure it wasn't at the level of the parents, but it was funny to see him get so flustered.
     After about a half an hour of waiting Mother Gothel arrived, and was irritated to find the students there before her. "Have I taught you nothing about being fashionably, annoyingly late to every engagement?" she asked letting out an exasperated sigh and collapsing dramatically into her chair, one hand fanned over her eyes.
     The rest of class was spent studying Portraits of Evil, comparing the likeness of the most famous villains in history, many of whom lived on the island and some of whom were their parents.
     Class ended, and students began to file out of the classroom. Evie asked Carlos what his next subject was, and looked happy to discover they both had Lady Tremaine for Evil Schemes. "That's another advanced class-you must have a really high EQ," he told her. Only those who boasted off-the-charts evil quotients were allowed to take it. "It's this way," he said, motioning up the stairs.
     But before they could get too far, a cold voice cut through the chatter. "Why, if it isn't Carlos De Vil," it said behind them.
    Carlos would know that voice anywhere. It was the second-most terrifying voice on the island. When he turned, Mal was standing right behind him, next to Jay. Carlos automatically checked his pockets to make sure nothing had disappeared.
     "Hey, Mal," he said trying to appear nonchalant. Mal never spoke to anyone except to scare them or to complain that they were in her way. "What's up?"
     "Your mom's away at the spa this weekend, right?" Mal asked, elbowing Jay, who snickered.
Carlos nodded. The Spa—really just a bit of warmish steam escaping from the crags of rock in the ruined basement of what had been a proper building—was Cruella's one bit of comfort, her one reminder of her luxurious.
     How far the De Vil's had fallen, just like the rest of the Isle.
     "Y-yes," he said uncertainly, unsure if that was the correct answer even though it was the truthful one.
     "Right answer," Mal said and patted him on the head. "I can't exactly give a party at my place without my mother yelling at everyone, not to mention the whole flying crokery issue.
     "And we can't have it at Jay's because his dad will just try to hypnotize everyone into being his servants again," Mal continued.
     "Totally," agreed Jay.
     Carlos nodded again, although he wasn't sure where this was leading.
    "Great, Perfect. Party at your house. Tonight."
     Party? At his house? Did he hear that right?
     "Wait, what? Tonight? I can't have a party! I mean, you should understand, my mom doesn't really like it when people come over—and, um, I've got a lot of work to do—I have to fluff her furs, iron her undergarments, I mean—" he gulped, embarrassed.
     Mal ignored him. "Spread the news. Hell Hall's having a hell-raiser." She seemed to warm to the thought. "Get the word out. Activate the Twilight bark, or whatever it is you puppies do."
     "Bowwow," barked Jay with a laugh.
     Carlos glared at the two of them, in spite of himself.
     "There's a party?" Evie asked shyly. Carlos had forgotten she was standing right next to him, and he jumped at the sound of her voice.
     "Eavesdrop much?" Mal said, snarling at her although it was obvious Evie couldn't help it, as she was standing right there.
     Before Evie could protest, Mal sighed. "Of course there is. The party of the year. A real rager, didn't you hear?" Mal looked her up and down and shook her head sadly. "Oh, I guess you didn't hear." She mock-winked, looking at Carlos conspiratorially. "Everyone's going to be there."
    "They are?" Carlos looked confused. "But you only just told me to have it—" He quickly got the message. "Everyone," he agreed.
     Evie smiled. "Sounds Awesome. I haven't been to a party in a long, long time."
     Mal raised an eyebrow. "Oh, I'm sorry. This is a very exclusive party, and I'm afraid you didn't get an invitation."
     With those parting words, Mal went ahead of them into the classroom.
     "Sorry," Carlos mumbled. "I guess I was wrong, Mal doesn't just talk a big game.
     "Yeah, me too. The party sounds like fun," Evie said sadly.

***     Later during the day, Hesper was walking through the halls when one she saw a minion scurrying through the crowd heading right toward her. He stopped when he reached her feet panting heavily.
     "Well?" Hesper asked a bit impatiently.
     "Have you heard yet?" the minion asked standing up, only to be a bout knee level with her.
     "Heard what?"
     "The party that Carlos De Vil is throwing. It's tonight, be there at midnight," the Minion ordered then ran off past her.