The Hell Raiser

A little after midnight Hesper snuck out of her room and made her way to the main floor. She was surprised to find her father sitting at the kitchen table, as if he had been expecting her.
     "So, would you like to tell me where your going on this gloomy night?" He asked her, his long fingers placed in a temple, a bit below his face.
     "A party," Hesper replied vaguely, crossing her arms over her chest.
    Hades rolled his eyes. "A party? Really? You could be so much more productive then that," he said stirring a spoon around in a glass of unfiltered water. "But here you are sneaking out to go to a party."
    "Seriously, Dad," Hesper said, rolling her eyes. She couldn't help but wonder why her father was here anyways. He had never cared if she was going out past curfew before.
     "Hesper, I know you're a teenager, but you must remember that you're not just any teen. You are the daughter of a god. And not just any god, oh no. You are my daughter. The daughter of the great Hades." Hades beamed. "Now, that raises expectations not only from me, but from everyone on the island." He narrowed his eyes at Hesper and rose from the chair, walking up to her and gazing down at her. Hesper gulped. "I'm sure you know by now that I don't take failure very well, Hesper dearest."
     Hesper shoved the fear she held for her father deep down, mustering all the courage she had just to nod in understanding.
     Hades waited a moment and studied Hesper. He shook his head slightly and sighed. "Remember what I've taught you about fear, Hesper," he said firmly, the disappointment in his words cutting deeper. "You can't show weakness. Not ever." He looked at his daughter. "My point here is they need to be afraid of Hesper. Not the daughter of Hades."
    Hesper didn't respond.
    Hades sighed and got up, walking towards his room. "Sometimes I think being a father would be so much easier if I had a son instead of a daughter." He said just loud enough for Hesper to hear.
     Even though this wasn't the first time her father had said this to her, she swore her heart broke a little every time she heard it. But she quickly brushed those thoughts aside. She was a villain. And villains weren't suppose to care about feelings.
     She left the house and felt the cold stale air brush against her cheeks. Hesper walked through the dark and dreary night, and after awhile approached Hell Hall. She took a deep breath and walked up to the front door. Finally she knocked. After a few seconds she heard footsteps coming toward the door. When it swung open she was greeted by the son of Cruella De Vil.
     "Hesper?" Carlos questioned, shocked to see someone of such high Teenage Monarchy standing on his doorstep. Sure he had seen her around Dragon Hall, but he never talked to her or anything. If you talked to someone as feared as Hesper, you may never talk again.
     "That's my name, don't wear it out," she responded, a similar teasing sense to that of her father's.
     "What'cha doing here?"
     "Um, you are throwing a party," she said blankly. "Heard it's supposed to be a real Hell-Raiser."
     "Oh, right." Carlos felt himself burn red with embarrassment for forgetting the fact that there was a wild party going on in his house. He realized that Hesper was still standing awkwardly outside the door frame. "Come in." He motioned his hand to the inside to welcome her in. Hesper walked inside and made her way to main ballroom where most of the party was being held. She stared heading over towards a darker corner, but before she could even get there she was greeted by the Gaston twins.
     Hesper sighed in annoyance. The Gaston twins were conceited and absolutely annoying. They especially liked to try and impress the girls. In other words. She. Hated. Them.
     "Hesper, darling, so happy you came," one of the Gastons said reaching for her hand. But Hesper quickly pulled her hand away and slapped it right across the side of his perfect face.
     "Don't even try Gaston," Hesper snarled. She turned to the other Gaston, who was wearing a smug smile. She glared. "That goes for you to." Hesper strutted away from the twins, and found a place to herself. Standing over in the isolated corner Hesper stood, looking for something to occupy herself, but her thoughts were interrupted by a voice yelling out. "Toad's Blood Shot! For Everyone!" She saw Mal in the entry way of the room.
    Mal? At a Party? Hesper couldn't believe what she was seeing.
    Toads-Blood Shots splashed across the room by the cupful and everyone chugged slimy cups together, including Mal. As the latest dance off finished in the ball room, Hesper found herself wandering out into the hallway. She saw Mal and Jay talking nearby and slowly started to walk in their direction.
     Jay was the first to acknowledge her presence and waved to her. "Hey Hesper. Great party, huh?"
    "Sure, if you like seeing a bunch of teens crowded around each other for the purpose of useless entertainment," Hesper replied, not a hint of amusement in her voice.
    Jay rose an eyebrow and gave Hesper a weird look. Hesper shrugged coldy. It's not like this wasn't normal for her. Hesper had hardly ever been exposed to any kind of 'fun'. She just said it like it is. "Okay," said Jay slowly. "So I'm taking it, that you're not enjoying the party."
     "I'm more of a in the shadows type of person," Hesper answered. "But all everyone seemed to be talking about was the big Hell Raiser, so I thought I'd see what the big deal of this whole thing was."
     "Well at least you keep an open mind, unlike someone I know," Jay nudged Mal playfully, earning at deadly glare from her.
     "Speaking of which, what are you doing here Mal?" Hesper questioned Mal, the girl who absolutely despised parties.
     "I'm here for the party," Mal replied in a high pitched voice, trying to sound like she was having fun.
     "Mal, you hate parties so why are you here?"
      Mal knew she had to somehow convince Hesper that she was here because she wanted to be and not to make Evie miserable. Hesper was a smart girl, and got suspicious of things easily. And it didn't help that she didn't fear Mal's wrath, like most of the other villain's kids.
     "Fine, Jay dragged me here because he thinks if I gave a party a chance I might like them," she lied.
     Hesper thought up the answer, it was believable enough, but she knew that wasn't the truth. But Hesper decided to play along anyway.
     "Oh, why didn't you say so," Hesper said, leaving the conversation as fast as she could. Walking around she noticed that one of the draped over bookshelves had a pair of black boots sticking out from underneath, so she decided to go and investigate. As she grew closer she automatically recognized the pair of scuffed loafers.
     She lifted up the sheet from the bottom enough to reveal a terrified looking Carlos.
     "Carlos, what are you doing under here?" Hesper asked the boy, a small smirk tugging at the corners of her mouth in amusement at seeing Carlos so terrified.
     "I was just... checking the books," he stumbled over his words nervously, trying to think of what he could say to make Hesper see him in a less dorky light. However, this failed terribly.
     "You're hiding from the party aren't you?"
     "Yeah..."
     "Why'd you throw a party if you were going to spend it hiding behind a sheet?"
     "Mal told me I was throwing a party. Technically her party."
      Hesper furrowed her brow, "Wait, Mal is throwing this party?"
     "That's what I just said."
     "Why would Mal of all people throw a party?" Hesper questioned. "I smell a rat."
     "Huh?"
     "She's planning something, I know it." Hesper dropped the sheet she had been holding back over Carlos and walked away.