Fairytale Date

"So where are we going?" Hesper asked as her and Aziz walked side by side.
       "I'd tell you, but that would ruin the surprise," He told her playfully. He shifted through his pockets and pulled out a blindfold and held it up in front of him.
       Hesper raised an eyebrow. "And what is that for?"
      "I'm not taking any chances at ruining the surprise." He dangled it in front of Hesper's face.
Realizing what he meant, she shook her head vigorously. "Oh, no. No way! Not happening!"
       "Come on," he pleaded. "You trust me, don't you?"
       Hesper bit her lip, debating. She'd only encountered him a few times. Could she trust him? He had saved her from a truck... Finally she caved. "Fine, you win."
        Aziz grinned victoriously and tied the blindfold around her eyes, causing everything to go dark. She felt Aziz place his hands on her shoulders. For some odd reason, a tingly sensation went through her at his touch. He guided her, and would tell her to step to the side or raise one foot up.
       It seemed like an eternity to Hesper, but finally they stopped. She felt the tingly sensation on her shoulders subside and the blindfold loosen. When Aziz took the blindfold completely off she gasped.
        In front of her were two horses, saddled and ready for a ride. One a golden palomino and the other a rich brown.
       She looked at Aziz, "You do realize that you're being extremely cliché right now, right?"
       He shrugged. "What can I say? I'm a hopeless romantic at heart." He started walking towards the horses, but noticed Hesper hanging back. "You coming?" Hesper hesitated. "Don't worry they were born and raised here. And these two are some of the calmest horses I've ever come across."
        Hesper nodded and made her way towards the palomino mare. She didn't want to admit, but she had no clue how to get on.
        "Need a hand?" a voice asked from behind. Their warm breath ticking her ear. She knew it was Aziz, so she didn't protest. She nodded sheepishly. "Put your foot there in the stirrups. One hand on the front of the saddle and the other on the back. I'll lift your other foot up, and then you just have to hoist the rest of yourself up, alright?" Hesper nodded, and repeated the actions Aziz had told her. And within two seconds she was on the back of a horse. She looked over to see Aziz hoisting himself up onto his horse. He kicked the horse in the side, and Hesper mimicked his action.
         "Where'd you learn so much about horses?" she asked, curiously, adjusting her reins.
        "Well when I was little I had a fascination with animals. I mean my parents liked exotic animals themselves. My father had a monkey and my mother a tiger."
        "Sultan Aladdin and Sultana Jasmine?"
         Aziz nodded. "I went away to a few camps during the summer and stuff. The horse camp had been my favorite."
        "What drew you so much to them?"
        "I think there was something about their demeanor that I loved. They were so playful, and devoted, strong, yet fragile."
       The pair continued talking about simple things like that until they came to a stop in a beautiful . "Whoa," Hesper breathed.
       "Breath taking isn't it?" Aziz asked, dismounting the horse and tying him up to a nearby tree.  Hesper nodded. He came over and gripped her reins, and tied Hesper's horse to the same spot as his. Carefully he helped her off and led her further into the meadow.
        "Okay," Aziz said as they were walking. "Tell me something about yourself that you've never told anyone."
        "Ummmm," Hesper thought. "My middle name is Edna."
        "Edna?" Aziz repeated, trying hard not to laugh.
          She elbowed him in the side, "It's not that terrible." Aziz gave her a 'really?' look. Hesper sighed. "Okay, okay. It's terrible. Hesper Edna. Now you know why I've never told anyone my middle name."
        "Well at least you didn't get your middle name after your father's pet monkey," Aziz said sheepishly.
         Hesper looked at him. "Wait. Your middle name is Abu?" Aziz nodded sheepishly. "That's unfortunate." Both of them laughed.
         At one point Aziz put his hands over Hesper's eyes, and lead her to a clearing with a . She smiled at the sight when he removed his hands.
        The two sat down, enjoying the picnic. Hesper found a great interest in the peaches, eating slice after slice. "Woah, slow down. You're going to have eaten all the food before I even finished my sand which."
         Hesper quickly wiped away the juice that was trickling down her chin. "Sorry, we don't really have fruit like this on the Isle. It's just so juicy, and sweet and juicy and firm and—"
        "Juicy?" Aziz asked with a laugh. Hesper nodded. "You know this whole date you've asked me questions and I've done all the talking. But I hardly know anything about you. Your turn."
         "Okay," Hesper said. "I'm sixteen, I'm an only child, though it feels like Pinch and Pang are my obnoxious little brothers."
         "Pinch and Pang?"
        "Pinch and Pang are the descendants of my father's demon minions Pain and Panic. Pinch is Pain's son and Pang is Panic's son. There like mini clones, it's kind of freaky." Aziz chuckled.      "Hmmmm, oh! My greatest fear is drowning."
         "How come? Some sort of traumatic experience?"
         "Well, yeah, I've been close to drowning in both water and sand. It's incredibly frightening."
          Aziz nodded. There was silence for a moment. "Have you ever danced before?"
          Hesper tilted her head and looked at him curiously. "What do you mean?"
          "You know like a couples dance."
            Hesper shook her head. "We don't really do a lot of things like that on the island; it's more like gang activities."
          Aziz nodded and stood up. "Well, now's as good a time as any to learn."
        "What?" Hesper laughed shortly. "There's not even any music."
         He shook his head. "No music necessary. Come on it'll be fun!" Hesper didn't move, so Aziz came over gripping her hands and led her into an open spot in the meadow.
          "Alright, now put your hand out," He instructed, bringing her right hand up into the air. "Then put your left hand on my shoulder." She did so. He brought his left hand to meet her right in the air and brought his right hand down to her waist. Hesper's breath hitched. But to cover it up she looked at him with a smirk.
         "You seem to know everything I don't. First the horses, now dancing."
          "Well I am a Prince. As much as I tried to protest to my parents, I was forced to learn," Aziz explained. "Now," he began. "Follow my lead." Hesper did so, but kept looking down at her feet, trying not to mess up. She felt her face being lifted up and her eyes met Aziz's. "Keep your eyes on mine." Hesper nodded and they continued dancing. And to Hesper's surprise she enjoyed herself.
          Everything was going well until Hesper felt a drop of rain hit her head. The duo stopped and looked up at the sky only to have more rain drop from the sky. Within seconds the sky was releasing thousands of rain drops in a frenzied down pour.
          "Where did this rain come from?" Hesper asked, bringing her jacket over her head. "The sky was clear just a moment ago."
          "These rains are from the enchanted lake, they tend to happen unexpectedly."
          "Well," Hesper said. "Should we head back?"
          "Why should we?"
          "Ummm, because it's raining like crazy!"
         "Hey, I told you earlier that I'm a hopeless romantic and dancing in the rain is one of the biggest clichés. I'm not missing the chance to dance in the rain with prettiest girl I've ever laid eyes on." Aziz held his hand out to her. Hesper felt herself blush, but quickly scolded herself. 'Remember, he's under a love spell Hesper! He doesn't know what he's saying!'
           She took his hand none the less and he twirled her into his arms. They danced together in the rain before stopping to take a breath. She leaned her head onto his shoulder so their eyes met. "I could never get tired of looking into your eyes." Aziz said. Hesper smiled.
          "Well what do you see when you look at them?"
         "I see a mystery that hasn't been solved. But you know what else I see?" He asked. "I see goodness. I can look right into your eyes and I can tell that you aren't evil."
          Hesper, felt like her whole world had stopped. What did he think he was saying? Of course she was evil! She was an eavesdropper, a black mailer, the daughter of one of the worst villains to have walked the planet! She couldn't be good. Her heart was nothing but a black piece of coal. Right?
          Her thoughts were washed away when she sneezed. "Achoo!"
        "Oh," Aziz said rubbing her shoulders. "Sounds like you might be getting a cold. Come on, let get you back to school."
          She furrowed her brow. No one had ever cared if she was feeling sick or not. And if she was, she was told to suck it up or stay in her room until the illness was gone.
          Hesper followed Aziz back to the horses, and he helped her remount the horse she had ridden in on. They rode the horses back through the woods which helped to shelter them from the rain. Eventually they reached the stables and Aziz took the horses in and tied them up, before coming back to the entrance where Hesper stood.
         "Here," He handed her an umbrella. "Take this with you when you leave. I've got to stay and untack the horses and rub them down. But you need to head back and get warmed up. If you need medicine you can head to the nurses office."
          Hesper nodded and opened up the umbrella. She looked back at Aziz. "I had a lot of fun today with you."
         Aziz smiled, "So did I. Perhaps we could have fun again if we went to Ben's coronation together?"
          Hesper nodded. "I'd like that."
         "Alright, can't wait." Hesper smiled at him, and walked back into the rain, umbrella over head. "Well the plan worked," she muttered.

She softly started to sing. "A million thoughts in my head, should I let my heart keep listening? 'Cause up till now, I've walked the line, nothing' lost, but something' missing' I can't decide, what's wrong, what's right, which way should I go?
If only I knew what my heart was telling me. Don't know what I'm feeling, is this just a dream? Uh oh, yeah. If only I could read the signs in front of me. I could find a way to who I'm meant to be, uh-oh, if only. If only... if only
Every step, every word, with every hour I am fallin' in. To something' new, something' brave, to someone I, I have never been. I can't decide, what's wrong, what's right, which way should I go?
If only I knew what my heart was telling me. Don't know what I'm feeling, is this just a dream? Uh oh, yeah. If only I could read the signs in front of me. I could find a way to who I'm meant to be, uh-oh, if only, yeah!
Am I crazy? Maybe we could happen.
Will you still be with me when the magic's all run out?
If only I knew what my heart was telling me. Don't know what I'm feeling, is this just a dream? Uh oh. If only I could read the signs in front of me I could find the way to who I'm meant to be, uh-oh. If only, yeah! If only, yeah... if only, yeah... if only. If only... if only." 

      Hesper sighed as she reached the school. She closed the umbrella and shook it off before entering the main foyer.

       What a day.