Hair Stylings, Cookies, Tears

In their dorm, Hesper was seated in the bay window, manipulating a small flame of fire in her hand. Mal laid stomach down on her bed, sketching somethings down in a notebook and Evie was sewing a dress over at her desk.
      "Mom said 'If a boy can't see the beauty within then he's not worth it.'," Jane ranted. She had come in awhile ago to thank Mal for doing her hair, but while doing so she mindlessly drifted off to the topic that earlier that day a boy had come up to talk to her. Then she went into a whole rant about how that'd never happened until today. And she'd still probably never be able to make progress with a boy even now because of the restrictions her mother put on her. "Can you believe it? What world does she live in?"
        Mal scoffed all while not taking her eyes off her sketch, "Auradon."
        Evie held up the leather blue dress she had been finishing up on her sewing machine. "Mal, Hesp, Do you like?"
        "Yeah," Mal answered slightly bored sounding, glancing up only for a quick look. "It's cute."
       "Really brings out your eyes," Hesper added, looking up from her flame for a moment to examine the dress.
       Evie smiled wide, "I know."
      Jane sighed exasperatedly, sitting down on the edge of Evie's bed. "I'll never get a boyfriend."

      Mal erased something on her picture and blew the eraser shavings away, then swept the remainder away with her hand. "Boyfriends are over rated," Mal said.

      "And how would you know Mal," inquired Hesper smartly. "You've never had one."
      "It's cause I don't need one Hesp," Mal said, slightly agitated. She paused. "And if I remember correctly you've never had one either." Hesper rolled her eyes. "They're just a waste of time." Mal said.
      Evie gasped, "I forgot to do Chad's homework!" she got up from where she was sewing and rushed over to the nightstand, grabbing a tan back pack from the floor.
      "And that is exactly what I'm talking about," Mal said.
       Hesper furrowed her brow. "Explain to me; exactly why you are doing Chad's homework?"
       Evie looked up at her as she brought out a large chemistry text book, "He was just so swamped with homework that we couldn't hang out. So he asked me to knock his out of the way."
       Hesper knew manipulation better than anyone, and this was most definitely manipulation.  She pondered whether to tell Evie or not, but knowing Evie she would be too obsessed with Chad's charm to notice what was actually happening.
       An Asian cultured girl walked in, knocking on the open door. Her dark black hair was cut short, above the shoulders, she wore a pink pastel shirt with cherry blossom designs, and a mint skirt. "Hey guys, I'm Lonnie," she greeted warmly, but there was no answer. "My mom's Mulan." No answer again. "Anyways, I love what you did with Jane's hair. And I know you hate us and well, you're evil. But do you think you could do mine?"
       Mal looked up at her sharply. "Why would I do that for you?"
       She held up a little mint green pouch that jingled with the sound of coins, "I'll pay you fifty dollars?"
       "Good answer," Evie said, standing up from her seat and grabbing the pouch. "I need to buy more material." Evie examined the hair, and started to list the possibilities they could do with her hair. "Let's see. I'm thinking we lose the bangs, maybe some layers and some highlights."
       "Oh, I want it cool," Lonnie explained. "Like Mal's."
       "The split ends too?" Hesper teased, joining the rest of the girls.
        Mal glared at her and looked to Evie for help, but Evie just shook the pouch of money. Mal growled, but seeing there was no way out, got off the bed and reached for her spell book.
       She flipped through the pages till she found the one she needed. "Beware, forswear, replace the old with cool hair." Mal shut the book, and moved her hands in motion. Lonnie's hair transformed to beautiful, thick brown locks.
       Lonnie quickly moved to the mirror and opened her mouth in awe. "I know, I know," Evie said, joining her. "It looks like a mop on your head. You know what, let's cut it off, layer it—"
       "No, no, no, no," Lonnie told her. "I love it. It's just..." She bent down a little, and ripped a tear in her skirt. "Now I'm cool."
       Hesper smirked slightly and nodded in approval as she leaned against the wall, "Like ice."
       Jane joined her at the mirror, and repeated the actions to her dress. She put her hands over her mouth and gasped. "What did I just do?! Mom's gonna kill me!"

       Carlos sat on the floor on his laptop, with Dude, the dog that Ben had introduced him to. Evie was looking into her Magic Mirror for the answer to Chad's homework. Hesper sat on the edge of her bed, making a sculpture of a skull out of smoke. And Mal was flipping page after page through her mother's spell book.
       Jay entered the room wearing his new tourney jersey that he had just received from the team. He shut the door behind him, causing a jerk in Hesper's concentration. Her smoke disappeared and she glared at Jay who simply shrugged.
       He walked over to Mal's bed, and held onto one of the bed's poles. "Did your plan work with Jane? You going over to see the wand?"
      "Do you think I would be going through every single spell in this book, if I hadn't completely struck out?" She asked, obviously irritated.
      "Someone's in a bad mood," Hesper muttered.
      "My mom's counting on me," she defended herself. "I can't let her down."
      "We can do this!" Jay spoke up. Everyone turned their attention towards him. "If we stick together."
       "And we won't go back, until we do," Mal said. "Cause we're rotten."
      "To the core," the other four descendants chorused together.
       "Oh yeah, I found out that fairy Godmother blesses Ben with the wand at coronation and we all get to go," Evie said, casually. "I have nothing to wear, of course."
       The others stared at her, their mouths slightly agape as though she had three heads (just like Cerberus, the guard of the Underworld). "What?" There was a knock on the door. "Hold that thought," Mal ordered, getting off the bed to answer the door.
       When she opened it, they found Ben on the other side, his usual warm smile on his face. "Hey, Mal. I didn't see you guys today. I was just wondering if you had any questions or anything that you needed?"
      "Not that I know of," Mal looked back at her friends who shook their heads.
     "Okay...alright...well, uh if you need anything just feel free to uh," He rambled awkwardly, starting to walk away.
      "Oh, wait," Mal called out. Ben stopped and walked back to the doorway, looking almost pleased that Mal had stopped him. "Is it true that we all get to go to your coronation?"
      Ben smiled, "Yeah the whole school goes."
       "Wow, that is beyond exciting," Mal twirled a piece of her hair. "Do you think it's a possibility that the five of us could stand in the front row next to the Fairy Godmother just so we could," Mal breathed in heavily through her nose, "soak up all that goodness?"
       Ben's smile faltered a bit, "I wish you could. Up front it's just me, my folks, and my girl friend."
       Mal nodded slowly, processing everything Ben just said in her mind. "And you girlfriend," she repeated.
       He gave her an apologetic smiled, "Yeah, I'm sorry."
       Mal started closing the door, "Okay thanks, bye."
      "You know there's plenty of—" he began to say, but the door closed in his face.
        Mal smiled mischievously, "I think it's time that Benny Boo, got himself a new girl friend. And I need a love spell." She clapped her hands, and Carlos tossed her the spell book.

       "Alright, it says that we still need one tear," Mal observed, looking at the recipe in the spell book. "And we never cry."
        "Let's just chop up some onions," Carlos suggested, gesturing to the crates of onions next to him.
         "No," Hesper exclaimed harshly. "The spell says that we need one tear of human sadness."
         "And this love potion gets the best reviews, so we have to follow it exactly," Mal continued.
         Jay rolled his eyes, "A tear's a tear."
        "That's not true Jay," Evie said, picking up a bag of flour. "They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein compared to a reflex tear."
        "Listen to you," Hesper cooed as she grabbed a pinch of flour and sifted it into the batter.
        "Yeah, I knew that," Jay said, trying to make himself look good.
         Carlos hit him playfully, "Did not."
        "Yeah, I did." 
         Suddenly the door to the kitchen opened, and in walked Lonnie. "There you are Mal!" she said. Hesper quickly covered the spell book with a white towel. "I've been looking for you. You know all the girls want you to do their hair." She noticed Mal stirring the recipe with a whisk.    "Midnight snack, huh? What you guys making?"
        "Nothing special," Mal lied quickly. "Just cookies."
         Lonnie dipped her finger into the batter. "No!" All five descendants yelled, extending their arms to stop her.
        She looked at them, confused by their actions. "What? I'm not gonna double dip."
        "Feel anything?" Evie asked cautiously.
        "Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?" Hesper added.
        Jay walked up slowly, and leaned on the metal bar, gazing at Lonnie flirtatiously. "Hey there." Lonnie didn't say anything, and pursed her lips. She looked back at the girls. "Could use some chips."
        "Chips?" Jay asked, confused.
         The girls sighed in relief, "And those are?" Mal questioned.
       "Chocolate Chips," Lonnie answered, closing the fridge door. "Just the most important food group." The others stared at her, confusion written on their faces. She grabbed a handful and tossed them into the batter. "Wait, didn't your guy's mom's ever make you like chocolate chip cookies?" Hesper, Mal and Evie watched as the chips sat in the batter, and looked up at Lonnie. "Like when you're feeling sad and there fresh from the oven with a big old glass of milk. And she just makes you laugh and put everything into perspective."
        The others looked at her sadly, their gazes much softer than usual. Hesper started running her hand gently over the wrist that her bracelet used to be on. "Why are you all looking at me like that?" Lonnie asked.
         Mal shook her head, "It's just different where were from."
        "Yeah, I know. I just, you know I thought, even villains love their kids..." Hesper brought her gaze down to the counter sadly. Mal went back to slowly mixing the bowl. Evie shut her eyes. Jay slowly caressed his arm with his hand. And Carlos fixed his eyes down at the floor.
        "Oh," Lonnie said, realizing what she said. "How awful." A single tear ran down her cheek and she put her hand gently over Mals for comfort.
        Slowly Mal looked up, noticing the tear. She swiped it away with her hand and dropped it in the bowl. "Yeah, well big bummer. But we have to get these into the oven. Thank you so much for coming by, have a goodnight, see you tomorrow," she rambled, pushing Lonnie out of the kitchen. "Evil dreams!"
        "Goodnight," Lonnie said, closing the kitchen door behind her.
         Once she was gone Mal turned back to the others. "Okay. Boys cookie sheets, Evie oven, Hesper spooning."