Video Conference

"Children, excuse me," Fairy Godmother said excitedly during their Remedial Goodness class. The five Descendants directed their attention up towards her. "As you know this Sunday is Family Day here at Auradon Prep. And because your parents can't be here due to...uh...distance. We've arranged for a special treat." She walked back to the front of the room where a large monitor was set up and hit a button. A video of their parents came up on the screen. Maleficent was right up against the camera lenses.
       "I don't see anything. Nor do I hear," she said, sitting back down with the rest of the villains.
       "Kids," Fairy Godmother gestured the over so the five Descendants rose from their seats and made their way over to the monitor.
       "I don't see..." Maleficent started shaking the monitor on their end of the conference. "Can I please see a remote!?" She started fumbling with the buttons. "I hate electronics." Finally she hit the right one and the other end of the video came on.
       "Evie! It's mommy," the Evil Queen exclaimed waving to her daughter who waved back. "Look how beautiful."
        "Who's the old bat?" Hades, pointed to Fairy Godmother through the screen.
       "This is Fairy Godmother," Hesper informed her father.
        "Still doing tricks with eggplants?" Maleficent teased, causing the other villains to laugh.
         The Fairy Godmother's face turned angry. "I turned a pumpkin into a beautiful carriage!"
        "You really couldn't give Cinderella till 1 am?" she continued. "I mean really. The hamsters have to be back on their little wheels?"
        "They were mice!" she protested. She looked back at the five teenagers. "They were mice!" the five descendants nodded and she went to the side. "They were mice!" she whispered one last time to the camera.
        "Hi mom," Mal greeted.
        "Mal!" Maleficent screeched through the camera, causing the descendants to jump a bit. "I m-m-m." The evil Queen hit her on the back of the had. "Miss you."
        "You children are never far from our thoughts," Jafar piped up.
         "How long must mommy wait to see you?" Maleficent asked Mal in her most sincere voice.
        "Uh there's a big coronation coming up, so probably sometime after that," Mal answered.
        "When is it?" she asked.
        "Friday," Mal replied. "Ten am."
        "Are you sure I can't see you before that?" Maleficent asked sweetly. "I don't know what I'll do if I don't get my hands on magic w—You! You little nugget who I love so much!" The rest of the parents mimicked her actions. Faking things like 'miss you' and 'sending you my love'.
        Mal nodded. "Yes, I completely understand mother."
       "Carlos!" Cruella nearly yelled, putting her head right up and close with the camera. "Is that a dog?" Dude, who Carlos was holding close to him, whimpered. "Oh, Yes, baby," Cruella said talking to her stuffed dog. "I do understand. It would make the perfect size for earmuffs."
        Carlos stepped closer to the camera. "He's the perfect size for a pet," he retorted. "This dog loves me and I love him. And FYI, your dog is stuffed!" Cruella shrunk back. "So give it a rest!" Jay pulled Carlos back away from the monitor.
       Jafar laughed, "O-ho ho-o! Burn!"
      "Oh, why don't you go sell a toaster you two bit salesman!" Cruella yelled at him in rage.
       "People who talk to stuffed animals shouldn't throw stones!" Jafar rebutted.
       "Well, people who sell toasters shouldn't use mixed metaphors!" Cruella shouted.
       "I'm surrounded by idiots," Hades muttered, pinching the bridge of his news.
       "What was that?" Cruella asked.
        "I said--!" Hades began, raising his voice. Noticing that his temper was about to rise, Hesper quickly turned the video chat off. She sighed. She looked at the rest of the Descendants, noticing the same sad and disappointed looks on each of their faces.
         Fairy Godmother frowned. Her big surprise had not only been a failure but had just reminded the kids that their parents were exactly the same as when they left. "I'm so sorry," she apologized.
         "Thank you for the special treat," Hesper said in a barely audible voice.
          Somehow the Headmistress still heard her. "Of course."
          Mal and Hesper were the first to turn back and grab their bags. They were exiting side by side when Evie came up behind them. "M? Hesp?" They looked back at her. "What do you think our parents are gonna do to us if we don't pull this off?"
          Hesper and Mal exchanged looks as if they were having a telepathic conversation.
          Hesper hesitated a moment before answering in the most positive and believable way possible. "I think they will be quietly disappointed in us, but ultimately proud of us for doing our best."
          "Really?" Carlos asked, a bit surprised.
           Mal shook her head. "No, I think we are definitely goners." The others looked down, knowing Mal was right. They had to pull this off. They just had to.

____________________________________________________________________________________