Lunch

I took my seat next in the very front of the room next to Leo, a messy drama geek who also functioned as the unethical brother I'd never had. Also the brother I'd never think to ask for, but here he is.

His dark skin, mini-fro'd head, and mischievous eyes were ever-so familiar to me. I'd been looking and laughing at them since freshman year.

"Hey Diva," he said femininely while crossing one leather clad leg femininely over the other. He was auditioning for Mrs. Turnblad for the school's winter production of Hairspray, and had vowed to stay in character until the cast list was posted this Friday.

After he had gone out and bought all the fabulous clothes and even gotten his hair done to complete his feminine look, nobody had the heart to tell him that the popularity of men playing the role were because of the obvious masculinity.

"Hola pequina," I sighed.

"Awe you only speak to me in Spanish when you're upset. Did you get in trouble with Mama Rosa this morning?" he asked.

I shook my head, remembering the last time my mom had yelled at me in Spanish for forgetting to tell our principle she couldn't make it to the PTA meeting. As a result her absence was made an example of "immature planning." She's only 1/18th Hispanic, but she holds on to her culture very tightly. That's why Leo loves her so much. It amuses him to see my pale, red-headed mother speak the language of her great-great-great-great grandparents.

"I'm just not feeling school today," I said, quite honest this time.

"Have anything to do with Cath is trying to convince you to go for Colton the Hottest New Single?" he mumbled with an evil smirk.

I looked at him startled. Had everyone heard Cather and I's conversation from outside the door? I'm done. SO done. I'm talking hiding my face in a paper bag for the rest of high school done...

"Leo shut up she doesn't know I texted you about it," said Cather from her seat two rows back.

I took a deep breath, relieved. It was short lived, however, when I realized that the tow had been planning on how to get me out of my comfort zone and into the arms of a guy that, sure, I've sort of drooled after since 5ever, but also never spoken to once in my life. Not only was that a highly impossible couple to create, but it was also sort of frustrating.

"Seriously guys?" I sighed. "Even if I could get the courage to even say hello to him, he just got dumped less than two hours ago. To even suggest another relationship would be totally inconsiderate. Who would go after a guy that vulnerable and off-guard?"

I got my answer during lunch. I was sitting with Leo, Cath, and a few other friends from art when he walked in. Instead of being followed by his usual groupie of jocks and Courtney, there were at least 7 other girls that had taken their place. They were acting as nonchalant as possible, but there was no hiding the desperation on their faces.

As I looked from across the cafeteria , his eyebrows pulled together slightly, a motion that I've come to realize mean annoyance. He did his best to ignore the girls as his best friend Hunter came to high five him. His face relaxed as he walked to the walked over to the Varsity table, leaving the girls looking disappointed behind him.

"What do you think Lyn?" asked Cather. I looked back at the table to see that Leo and Cath were looking at me expectantly.

"Um.." I hesitated. Cather looked at me knowingly but didn't say anything. Instead, she repeated herself.

"We wanna go to the mall to get some shoes for the Winter Wonderland Dance. Can you drive us?"

"Can you give me gas money?" I retorted with a smirk.

Leo sighed dramatically. "Listen Mama, we'll each give you 15 dollars if you do us this solid. They have a new shipment of Minion shirts in at Hot Topic and I want 'em all."

"Make it 20," I stated.

"FINE," they said together.

"Then I suppose we have a deal," I laughed.

My phone went off in my pocket. I checked the text message.

Cath: You were thinking about it weren't you?

Me: No more than I have since 4ever...

Cath: Which is like, always. Why don't you go for it???? :(

Me: Because, what if I make myself look idiotic? He could never like me anyway, I've never even spoken to him. It's better to not to take the risk of being turned away, then nobody gets hurt

Cath: and your alternative is loving the same person, never being with them, and never having the motivation to move on?

I shut off my phone.