Prologue

People were shouting and complaining to the men in black masks with armored guns in their hands. Dogs barked at the crowd as most of them were shoving to get close to the gate.

But they were no match for two desperate parents who were struggling to get to the gate.

A man with dirty blonde hair and a woman with dark brown.

And both, each in their arms, were scared children.

A girl with similar hair to her father's and a boy who looked about older than the girl.

Even though they were siblings, they looked nothing alike except for their brown eyes. Their mother's eyes.

The small family had finally reached the outer gate and placed their son on his feet, along with his sister, who could barely walk.

Their parents got on their knees and looked at them with tears, mostly their mother. Their father tried to smile at his only son and place a hand on his shoulder.

"Son. . ." He whispered. "You are so loved. . . So brave. Promise me you'll protect her. Promise me."

The boy did nothing but nod at his father's request and received a kiss on his forehead. Then turned to his mother, and she stroked his hair lovingly, whispering.

"Remember . . . We love you . . . We love you, Thomas . . . We love you both." A tear fell on her cheek.

Suddenly, two guards came. One of them took Thomas and placed him on his shoulders. The other took the girl and wrapped a blanket around her as gently as he could when she started crying as her brother continued to call out to their parents.

His mother cried as his father hugged her and cried silently along with her. Knowing that they both didn't have a choice.

Thomas tried to reach for them, longing to feel their hugs and comfort. But deep down, he knew it'll never happen, no matter how many times he begged.

He was on a train later then. His sister was beside him, sleeping with her head on his lap. He looked around and saw kids like him. Some were older, and some were younger.

Then out of nowhere, a woman with blonde hair was sitting across him, touching his knee as if she was comforting him.

"Thomas." She said. "It's okay."

Thomas looked at the woman in white and then looked down at his sister, who was in a deep, dreamless sleep.

Don't worry, Ellie. I'll take care of you.

I promise.