Chapter 1

Hey everyone! I have really been enjoying these stories by Ophelia_is_Knightly. They center on this interracial family, the Hughs. (If you haven't heard of them you should get hip, the stories are amazeballs). This love story is not about any of the Hugh children but it does focus on the Hugh family. I'm going to try to keep this under five chapters so that it counts as a short story and a one shot. Thanks for reading!

***BTW I wrote this when I was 16 and idk why I thought that 18 years old was the "official adulting age" and qualified one to date any other adult no matter the age difference. With that being said, the age difference in this story is a bit cray cray and I don't ship it anymore. Maybe pretend like She's 28 or he's 28 instead lols (so 28 and 42 or 18 and 28). ***

~

April rode in the lonely carriage in silence. It was a rainy day but as she looked out the window she could see children outside laughing and jumping around in puddles. It put a smile on her face, contrasting the dreary black she wore.

She had just left her father's funeral. It was taking everything in her not to cry. She had remained strong throughout the ceremony but it was all starting to crash down on her. Her mother had died giving birth to her and she was an only child. No mother. No father. No family.

"We're here, miss." The coachman said, peeking his head through the door. April hadn't even noticed the carriage had stopped.

"Thank you," she said as he helped her out of the carriage.

She walked up to an enormous manor, marveling at it as she knocked on the door.

An older maid answered it. "Hello, ma'am, how can I help you?"

"Yes, may I speak to Adam Hugh Senior, please?"

Catching a glimpse of April's attire for the first time the maid answered, "Oh dear, yes of course, please come in. I am so sorry for your loss."

"Thank you for your sympathy," April said as she entered, sounding as dead as she felt inside.

The maid led her through a few hallways on the first floor until finally they reached two sizable doors. Turning to April she whispered, "I never got your name, dear."

"Oh, April, my name is April Lockett." She said.

"Of course," The maid nodded. She knocked twice and the doors opened.

The person who had opened them was a tall, muscularly built, handsome, white, middle aged man with long glorious black hair.

"Mr. Hugh," the maid spoke up, "A Miss April Lockett is here to see you."

"Thank you, Liz," the gentleman said before nodding.

With that, the maid left.

April curtsied at the man before her and he gave a slight bow.

"Please come in," he said with a beautifully gracious smile.

April stepped into the room behind him to find it full of people.

There was a beautiful older black woman and a young woman who looked like her but with lighter skin. There were several caramel-skinned young men who looked like Mr. Hugh; and also a little girl, being held in the arms of the younger woman. There were also several other women of varying skin colors, one of them pregnant, who looked like they romantically belonged to the younger men.

All of them beautiful and handsome and all of them smiling at her.

Such a beautiful family, April thought.