Chapter 5

[Chres's POV]

We were all sitting in the living room playing games. Well, Ray and Perry are. He looks like he's about to faint though.

I chuckle just thinking about it. He's so afraid of Ray. He practically pleaded with me or Craig to play with them but I said no, I wanted to read this book that Craig showed me. It's of my favourite author, Christine Feehan. She writes vampire books.

Your probably wondering why a guy who didn't want to be a vampire reads vampire books and the answer to that is; I don't know.

I just find them fascinating. The prospect of finding a soulmate to spend eternity with is just too hard to comprehend. Speaking of soulmate, I gotta ask if it's true, you know, now that I'm a vampire and all.

"Hey Craig, can I ask you something?" I shout over the high sounds coming from the TV and the yelling of Perry and Ray. Wait, I thought Perry was afraid of Ray. I give my head a shake. I'll ask him later.

I turn my attention back to Craig and see that he's put the book he was reading down. Yeah, we have quite a lot in common.

"Sure, go ahead." He says as he shuffles over to the loveseat I'm lounging in.

"Are uh soulmates or lifemates real?" He looked at me with raised eyebrows before he burst out laughing. His chocolate coloured orbs twinkling with amusement. He really is good-looking if you take the time to look closely. Many people would pass him off as ugly at first glance but I don't and the way he looks in those reading glasses. Wow. If he didn't like Ray I would totally date him.

"What! That is a totally verified question?!" I pout. Why is he laughing at me.

"S-sure, i-it i-is." He managed to stammer out between feats of laughter.

"Yes, it is. Now, why are you laughing at me?"

"Not you. Your question." He exhaled, wiping away a fake tear from under his eyes.

I huff and cross my arms pouting at my lap. Well, if he's going to be that way. He doesn't have to be a douche about it. I know I'm being childish but he doesn't have to be mean.

"Aw, don't pout." He coos at me and titles my chin up with a small smile pulling at him lips. "Okay, I'll tell you. Soulmates are real. I've believe I found mine a while ago." He smiled sadly after he said the last words. I knew what he was thinking about.

"It's Ray, isn't it." He looked at me confused. "Your soulmate, duh." Surprise flickered in his eyes.

"How... What..." He clears his throat. "H-how d-did you kn-know?" He stutters out.

"I'm not an idiot. I see the way you look at him. The way your eyes light up when he says something no matter how stupid it is. So he is, isn't he?"

"Yeah, he is. Unfortunately for me, he doesn't know or if he does he ignores it."

[Craig's POV]

How did he know? I mean, we just literally met not 48 hours ago and he already knows my soulmate. He has insight, that will be useful when the time comes.

"How come?" Chres asked.

"Well, soulmates are able to tell when they meet each other and I did the moment I met him after I joined The School. That was about a century ago-"

"Century! Jeez, How old are you? You're not, like, too old are you?" He interrupts.

"I'm two hundred years old and Ray is one hundred and ninety nine. We're not that-"

"That's old!" I swear if he interrupts me one more time I'm gonna scream.

"No it's not. It's pract-" Not again!

"Yes it is!" I facepalm and scream loudly in fact loud enough to distract Ray and Prince from their game. Doesn't this kid have manners.

I turned to him with a death glare. "If you interrupt me again I'm going to strangle you." I say seriously and he shuts up. Good. "Now, do you want to know about soulmates or not?"

"Okay." Finally.

"As I was saying, soulmates are able to tell when they meet each other and there have been cases where one or both of the soulmates don't know that they're destined to be together, which I believe me and Ray are in the former one. Now, I don't know-"

"Question." He cuts me off. Ugh! I thought he got it. Clearly he doesn't know the meaning of no interruptions.

"No interruptions Chres, you promised."

"No I didn't. I said 'okay' not 'I promise'." He air quotes. "So can I ask my question?" He smiles innocently.

"Fine." I give in. I had no choice. We would have stayed here all night arguing about it and he wouldn't have given up. I know he wouldn't. So I gave in.

"How do you tell that someone's your soulmate?" That's an interesting question. I've never really thought about how one can tell one's soulmate.

"I don't know but when I met Ray, I got this urge to be around him, like I couldn't live without him. I would get these tingles when he touched me and our minds would connect instantly and we could read each other's thoughts. It's incredible. I always got- still get- a feeling of complete rightness when I'm with him. My pulse always seems to beat a million times harder when he's around and just he's presence makes me happy." I reply recalling all the moments I've had with Ray. A small smile tugs at the corners of my lips but quickly disappears as fast as it came as I remember that Ray doesn't know that I'm his soulmate.

"Wow. That does sound incredible, I really hope I do find my soulmate because I'm looking for The One." He says happily and I smile at his innocence. Poor kid don't know how rare it is to find a soulmate. These things are like once in a lifetime offer and if you miss it the first time, you'll be extremely lucky to have a second chance.

"Listen kid, don't get your hopes up only to have them crash down. Finding one's soulmate is very rare among our kind." I deadpanned. I have to tell him the truth. I can't lie to him.

"Okay, firstly, I'm not a kid, and secondly, I'll wait forever if I have to."

"Well forever is a long time, kid, trust me, I know." I say, ignoring his first comment.

I look over at Ray and sigh heavily. How can he not know that we're soulmates? We've been companions for a long time and still he doesn't know. How will I tell him? Or better yet, how will he react to the news that I'm his soulmate?

I sigh and rub my temples. Ugh! All this thinking is giving me a headache and vampires rarely get sick. And whoever said that rubbing your temples when you have a headache lied big time, it just intensifies it.

Ray... What am I going to do with you? I can't tell you that I'm your soulmate and it kills me inside even if on the outside I'm calm and collected.

I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when the time comes, won't I? And for now, I'll watch Chres, there's just something special about him and find out what it is one way or another.