Turning Tables

Past

Friday, November 27, 2012

12:56a.m.

This time it was Corrine's turn to have to creep quietly up the stairs to the bedroom she'd spent countless nights on the opposite end of the spectrum. It was her turn to avoid looking in his eyes as she lied about where she'd been before rushing to the shower to wash off the scent of another. It was her turn to lie down with her back toward her husband, wide awake because the guilt she felt wouldn't allow her the privilege of escaping to her dreams.

Or. . .at least it would've been, if, Richard had been home.

She should've been upset that her husband hadn't been home at almost one o'clock in the fucking morning. But. . .did she really have a right this time?

As sleep brought her into the next day, she was still unable to shake herself from the shame and regret she'd felt. She squeezed her eyelids shut as she felt the bed shift, either Richard was just getting home or he managed to sneak in as she was sleeping and was getting up for work. Corrine laid stock still, not wanting to let him know that she'd woken up, and eventually she got her answer as she heard the shower running.

Releasing the breath she didn't realize she was holding, she sat up and ran her fingers through her still straightened hair. How was she supposed to look him in the eye knowing what she'd done the night before with Bleu? This was her husband for Christ's sake! Yet she'd betrayed him in such a way. But what made the situation worse, was the fact that a part of her, small or not, wanted to do it again.
And again.

And again.

Just as she shook her head clear of the memories from the previous night, Richard's iPhone pinged with a text message. Ignoring the noise would've been the best option to take, however about two more followed, further irritating her. Completely annoyed, she reached over to the nightstand on his side of the bed, snatching the phone from its charger and planning to silence it.

"Loud ass phone!" She mumbled. Her thumb hovered over the illuminated screen as she stared at the text message from Kyle:

Kyle: Don't forget about later, you promised ;) [7:00a.m]

Its harmless, she willed herself to believe, but the ambiguity of the text message only fueled her curiosity. Perhaps it wasn't just curiosity, but the desire to prove her intuition wrong. With a trembling hand and building anxiety, she opened the thread. Instantly her eyes landed on the last three messages that were sent:

Kyle: Good morning, Officer Dick [6:59a.m]

Kyle: Make sure you kiss our wife for me. Right on the lips. Lol. [6:59a.m]

"What. The. Fuck." Corrine was completely outdone at the audacity of Kyle, but like the glutton for punishment that she was, she went deeper into the conversation of Kyle and Richard.

Richard: You have a fiancé don't you? [7:30p.m]

Kyle: And you have a wife but that's never stopped us before. [7:45p.m]

Richard: I meant what I said earlier. We need to stop seeing each other. [7:48p.m]

Kyle: Lol now that's hilarious. Who are you trying to fool? [7:49p.m]

Kyle: I do things to you that that prude of a wife of yours wouldn't dare try... You don't want to let this go just as much as I don't so I'll see you tonight at our regular time [7:50p.m]