Mr. Detective

Past

Monday, March 23, 2013

7:49 p.m.

Corrine sat soundlessly next to her husband as he and his illegitimate boss discussed their business in the once private living room of their home. What used to belong to the two of them now belonged to the menacing bunch that made themselves comfortable in their home. Her stomach filled with disgust at Richard's association with a man the likes of Bleu, but she wouldn't dare voice that opinion right at that moment.

Bleu wasn't the type that took well to insult and definitely wasn't someone to make an enemy of. Covertly, he ran the city of Baltimore by having a hand in just about every corner of society: businesses, politics, and even the authorities. He was singlehandedly the cause of the city's corruption.

On the surface, Corrine was expressionless; underneath the mask was a rumbling mixture of fear, worry, and uncertainty. Richard was playing with fire and if he made one false move, the both of them were going to burn. She hadn't realized that all of her over analyzing began to display itself on her flawless coffee colored face. Her eyebrows furrowed together, as she bridled.

"Is there something wrong, Mrs. Morrison?" She aimed her attention back at Bleu to find his hardened bluish gray eyes scrutinizing her every move. Under his gaze, she felt bare and incapable of hiding. He had been well aware of her discomfort and revelled in it. Hell, he was the infamous Bleu, who was going to stop him from doing what he wanted? It certainly wouldn't be the man sitting next to her.

"No, I'm sorry. Please continue. " She stammered as her eyes looked everywhere but at him. In an attempt to protect herself, Corrine wrapped her arms around her body. Bleu smirked, rubbing stubble on his chin noticing the influence he had over her. He ran his tongue across his lips. Corrine nervously turned to her husband, hoping he'd catch on and intervene. Richard glared at her through his peripheral.

"Let's just get back to business now, Bleu." He grunted, annoyance evident in his hunched shoulders and tightly clasped hands.

"As you wish," he chuckled, as did the two brutes positioned on both sides of the leather, beige chair he'd claimed as his throne. "Tonight will be the meeting that we've been planning for. Paul will meet us in one of the city warehouses to make the trade. I want you to be one of the men to accompany me. You'll do your job to clear out anything that could be incriminating. Of course you'll get a hefty compensation."

Richard nodded his head. "How much are we talking?"

"For you, Detective Morrison, five grand. It's all yours after you've done your part, just like with any job."  Bleu spoke with the gab of a polished business man.

Richard smiled, rising to his feet, as did Bleu, and the two shook hands. "I will be waiting, Mr. Detective. I can let myself out." The two henchmen followed behind him.

Once he heard the door shut, Richard faced his wife with his emerald eyes blazing. "He's playing me," he spat. "That's not even a quarter of the money he'll be paying to his other foot soldiers. This is a weapons transaction, not coke, I should be getting at least double of what he's trying to give me!" Richard quickly whipped out his cellphone and angrily dialed a number. Corrine watched quietly in the background as her husband made the worst decision of his life.

"O'Riley, I just came across on a lead on Bleu," he said with his cell phone glued between his shoulder and his ear as he pulled back the curtain to peak out the window "Don't worry about how I got it, just listen and follow my instructions." Richard rattled off the warehouse directions to his partner, Detective Connor O'Riley.