Helen of Troy

Past

Thursday, May 30, 2013

10:00p.m.

Connor rummaged through his suitcase making sure he had everything he needed.  After getting the call from Los earlier, he knew he couldn't be in his house when Bleu was supposed to give him a surprise visit.  There wasn't a way in hell he'd let Bleu catch him off guard.  He climbed out of his car, which was parked a couple blocks away from Kyle's home.  

He kept his head low and covered with the hood of his old college hoodie as he trekked towards the house, up the concrete stairs, and rung the doorbell three times.  Kyle swung the door open, face scrunched in annoyance.  She frowned harder when she saw that it was Connor underneath the hood.  "What the fuck are you doing at my house?" 

Without much of a response outside of a grunt, he sidestepped her and entered the home.  Kyle's eyes widened further as she spotted the overstuffed black Nike duffel bag hanging on his shoulder.  "O'Riley," she said with her hand on her hip.  "If I don't get some sort of explanation as to why you're here with a damn overnight bag, I swear on Richard's grave that I will shoot you."

Sighing, Connor removed his hood plopping himself and his bag on her plush couch.  He scratched at the growing scruff on his chin.  "I, uh...I need to stay here for a bit."

"And exactly how long is 'a bit'?" Her arms crossed.

"Probably a week - "

"A week?!" 

"I'm just going through a lot of shit right now and I was hoping as my partner, that you'd have more sympathy."

"Fine. You have a week, then you're out." She said before sashaying to the hallway closet to grab an extra blanket for him.

"Thanks,"  he said appreciatively.  "What happened to that fiance of yours?"

"I called off the engagement once I found out about Richard separating from his wife.  That's all you need to know for now." She walked back to her room, albeit still suspicious of Connor's motives.  Why was he really at her house?  Kyle was far from naive, she noticed his change in demeanor.  Whereas he used to be calm and level headed, for the past couple of weeks--and even more at the moment--his behavior was erratic and jumpy.

Kyle kept her door cracked once she heard Connor's muffled voice speaking to someone on the phone.  "I'm here...Yeah...I'll get the girl to talk, don't worry.  The trial isn't that far away, I think it's starting to set in that she's just a pawn to him."

With an arched brow and peaked curiosity, she gingerly closed her door.  The wheels in her mind began to turn as pieces began to click together.  There was much more to Richard's death than she thought.  Better yet, Connor knew much more than he let on.  Maybe there were crooked cops among Precinct 18, perhaps her partner was one of them after all.

*********

A week came along, yet Connor remained in Kyle's home.  And she loathed it.  Yet, she kept him close as a means of getting to the bottom of the mess that she'd stumbled upon.  Mental--and physical notes--were made about his behavior.  When the time came, if her deductions were correct, then they would be of use to her when she had Connor investigated by Internal Affairs.  Until then, she continued to compile evidence against him, not exactly looking forward to bringing him down, but fully prepared to do so.

Her poker face was on as she and Connor sat in the interrogation room across from Corrine, who she'd once believed to be a murderer.  Now that belief was beginning to waver.  Corrine's demeanor was slightly different from the past few times they'd met with her.  Possibly due to the fact that the preliminary trial was a success...for them.