Work it Out

Past

Thursday, December 30, 2012

9:50p.m

Despite the slip up at Christmas, which he made sure not to tell Corrine, Richard had made it his mission to avoid being alone with Kyle or having any non-work related interactions. Surprisingly enough, he actually had been serious when he said he'd change. He truly was trying.

For the five days since he'd seen her, it worked. Kyle Lockhart was not the woman to ignore in any way, shape, or form. Accidently or purposely, Kyle always managed to steal his attention away from where it should've been. A natural seductress.

He was Eve being taunted by the snake and Kyle was the tempting apple which would lead him to sin.

Everything about her was a turn on to him. Physically, she stood at 5'8 with long athletic limbs. Her hips were a perfect combination of full and narrow. Her breasts were C-cups which, on her slim frame, made her appear to be busty and he loved it. His favorite part of her, aside from her talented mouth, was her red hair, matching her fiery, passionate personality.

Confidence was a part of her every move; it was her favorite shade of lipstick and she never left home without it. She knew what she wanted and had no qualms about doing what she needed in order to get it.

Kyle wanted Richard, but she won't leave her fiancé until she knows for sure that he and Corrine are separated. Until that time came he was hers to toy with.

Richard sat at his desk, absentmindedly staring across the room at none other than the siren herself. Kyle was aware of Richard's longing gaze. She bit the inside of her jaw to keep herself from smirking. She knew that it wouldn't be long before he'd come crawling back.

She peered up from the file she'd been thumbing through, as though she hadn't known he was watching, making eye contact. Neither wanted to be the first to look away.

"Shouldn't you be headed home?" Connor's voice broke their staring contest. Startled, Richard attempted to look like he hadn't been eye fucking Kyle. "I'm sure Corrine is waiting for you."

"Y-yeah," he cleared his throat, taking a glance at the time. "Is everything clear here?"

"Chief just needs the file for the McCaul case and you're good to go. If you feel up to it, I'm having a countdown at my place. You and Corrine should swing by." He pat his friend on the shoulder before continuing to the other side of the room where Kyle stood.

Richard stuffed the file's content back into it's manilla folder and carried it to Chief Rosenthal's office. Connor waited until he left the building before glowering at Kyle. "Why do you keep fucking with him, Lockhart? Last time I checked, you had your own fiancé."

She croaked a sarcastic chuckle without sparing him a single glance. "What the hell are you talking about, O'Riley?"

Angrily, he snatched the file from her hands, slamming it on the desk. "You know exactly what the fuck I'm talking about. Cut the bullshit and leave him be."

She rose to meet him at his eye level, an arrogant smirk accompanying her already smug face. "How about you mind your own business, or should I tell your best friend how you decided it would be fine to stick you tongue down his wife's throat? How do you think he'd feel knowing his own partner was having wet dreams about his wife?"

Shock stamped itself into his features; he was caught. At his silence she grinned, eying him up and down. "I thought so. How does it feel? Knowing that the woman you want belongs to someone else. See I can have Richard whenever I want. You, on the other hand, will never have...whatever her name is."

His jaw clenched, teeth gritting. She was entirely correct. Mockingly she placed a hand on his cheek with faux sympathy. "Fuck off, O'Riley."

***********

The wick of the nonscented candles were lit serving as light in their dimly lit dining room. Wine glasses were half full with Corrine's favorite brand of sangria, ceramic plates mostly empty with only remnants of the grilled shrimp and steak.

Despite them being in their own home, Corrine had dressed up as if they were dining at a restaurant. Richard still wore his work clothes--a beige button up and black slacks. She'd surprised him as soon as he walked through the door, wearing a simple black maxi dress, the white gold necklace he'd gifted for Christmas, and her hair a banged puff.

This type of dinner was odd for New Years Eve, most couple's would've went out to friend's or family member's party to celebrate the incoming of the new year. Most couples hadn't survived what they had. The year had been hard on them and at one point, they both doubted their marriage would've made it past 2012.

But they had, and now they were celebrating.

"These past few months have been...out of control to say the least. I know I haven't been the best husband, especially after our loss--hell even when you were pregnant. To be quite honest, I don't deserve you in any way, but you've given me another chance to get my shit together. And I will." He kissed her knuckles. "I promise."

They stared lovingly in each other's eyes. Leaning in across the table, but avoiding the candles, they shared a deep kiss. "I love you. " Richard said as they pulled away.

"Happy New Year, baby."

*****

Another short one yeah I know. I had to end it there because what happens next wouldn't fit with the tone of the chapter. Anyways, I really hope that yall been paying attention to the time settings I be giving yall. It'll be hella important when shit starts to pop off.