Chapter 18

The fact that two robes had such a ripple affect amused Draco. They didn't seem to be the direct cause, but more like a catalyst for what was already there. All of the behaviors of the star trio changed, however big or small. Brain candy galore produced when he reasoned that maybe the robes were a catalyst for Draco, making him see what probably was already there. Draco's secret friend, or secret friend to him, he doesn't know if Harry told anyone, had started to have this distinct level of something separating him. Separating him from what, Draco didn't know, but he knew it was there.

Hermione's behavior quirk was so blatantly obvious it would reflect poorly on Draco if it had always been there. She was oddly happy whenever she saw him and Harry. They didn't even have to be near each other, just both of them had to stumble into her field of vision and, Bam! A twinkle in her eyes and a bounce in her step. You would think she mastered a challenge question in Ancient Runes.

Weasely, however, for being the one part of the trio he had interacted with the least all year, confused him the most. His body language threw all sorts of conflicting signs towards Draco. A scowl crossing his face, but opening the door for him after class. Opening a door for him, but shoving him out of the way passing through the next one.

Walking into Herbology later, he sat at his usual table. All the way in the back, off to the far left, and nearly always deserted since he had laid claim. Yet as he sat down, he sat down next to the red haired part of the Golden Trio. He ignored both him and Professor Sprout's unhappy look and started to unpack his things. She continued to explain what they would be doing today and instructed that they were to get into partners. There was an odd number of eighth years, and she never assigned their partners, so Draco expected to have his usual fate of being the one working alone. He started to stand up and get his supplies, not wanting to wait for everyone else to partner up. Someone quietly coughed and mumbled behind him.

      "What." He stated, looking at Weasely, who wouldn't look at him. " Am I in the way?"

Weasely shook his head and looked up, glancing toward the side.

     "You aren't." He said. " I was just wondering, whether you'd like to be partners?" The tone suggested that he was questioning himself more than he was asking him.

Draco turned to face him, caught off guard by the request. Weasely has not given him any problems all year, but the room was filled with people. People who you would think would be preferred as partners over himself. Not wanting to shoot him down and not know his ulterior motive, he gave him a curt nod.

     "I would be fine with that."

Weasely stood up and shifted his weight. "Ok.  I'll go get the plants, then."

When he came back with a pair of harmless looking plants, they worked in silence. He proved to be slightly better at Herbology than he was at Potions, much to Draco's surprise. He had never really observed Weasely in another class before. Their short conversations were punctuated with the occasional "Pass the knife", and "Could you hand me the hammer? It's trying to eat my fingers again." The whole period passed in comfortable, if not a bit terse, silence. When Sprout dismissed them, everyone burst out of the greenhouse and into the heat. Draco loosened his tie on his walk back to the castle. The weather just got hotter and hotter the closer it got to summer.

"Malfoy!" Someone called behind him. "Wait up!"

He recognized the loud voice easily. He may have been cordial in class, but Draco had a life to live and didn't have time for small talk.

"Draco! Hey, slow down!"

He finally slowed down out of pity and let Weasely jog next to him.