1

I HADN'T BABYSAT in such a long time. Not because of any particular kid or their behavior but because I needed more money if I wanted to go haul shopping with Annalyn.

My parents consistently told me that working at bell wasn't a decent enough job for me, that resulted in me quitting the one job that gave me a somewhat decent salary of $8.45 an hour. My mother easily provided me with a babysitting arrangement with one of her coworker's daughters.

$10 being the legitimate hourly rate, my mom thought this was insanely generous but I was babysitting for 4 hours and at the end of the day $40 isn't that majestic in the pocket.

The little girl that I was babysitting had the name of Gracelyn, which happened to be my middle name, nonetheless I thought it was rather coincidental. She was 6 years old and she had an older brother by the name of Grayson, who apparently lived at football practice and could never take care of her.

She was a single mother which I thought was tough, knowing my family had recently been in the same predicament. That was until Eli came into my life and put a ring on my mother's finger, now I had a father; one I was very fond of due to the mere fact that my mom finally had a reason to be happy. Anyways I'll continue, Georgia was the woman's name. The same woman I would be meeting in less than an hour.

I turned on my bedroom light and laid down contemplating everything that I would do with the little girl. Hopefully she had an interest in dolls or playhouse, that was all I knew: oh, or we could watch some TV unless she needs to do homework or something.

I change out of my lacrosse uniform and slip on a pair of higher-trimmed denim shorts. It was nearly 90 degrees here and even though I loved the sun, the humidity was a pain and that caused me to pull my curly hair into a high ponytail. The higher the ponytail, the less poofy the hair becomes.

I yank my tennis shoes off and buckle up my Birkenstock's. I lean down to get them and feel my shorts pull up revealing all of my butt. I hesitantly question whether or not to change my shorts but my conscience tells me to keep them on to avoid the hassle.

I tuck a plain white singlet into my jeans and pull on my over the shoulder bag. I quickly stepped in front of the mirror and brushed loose strands of hair behind my ear.

I breathe in lightly before going downstairs. Eli said he could drop me off on his way back to his office, I immediately accepted the offer. I wait in the garage, my foot tapping slowly as I look at the clock knowing Eli isn't ever late, he wouldn't be late this time either, not on an occasion as important as this.

I huff as the garage door opens and I walk towards the car whilsy trying to block the sun from my eyes. He smiles, patting my bare thigh as we begin driving down the street.

"Mrs.Georgia will be able to drop you off afterwards, I'm going to have to talk to your mom about getting you a car, jeez, hassling you around everywhere is quite tiring."

He laughs and I laugh along, knowing good and well that my mom would never allow me to get a play wagon let alone a car. I sigh lightly, enjoying the careless mood. Reason #1,000,000 why Eli was such a great guy for my mother.

I pull my phone from my back pocket and check the time, reassuring that we wouldn't be late. "It's fine Ty. Seriously, I would never make you late on your first job." He chuckles, lightly nudging my shoulder. I grin, "Yeah, I guess so. Or mom'll simply kick you out of the house."

Sometimes I wondered how Eli could put up with my mother. She is, hands down, one of the most impatient, impulsive, timely, negligent people I know, yet Eli still loves my mom more than I think she loves herself, ugh goals.