2. Taken

I stare at him. I can't breathe. I can't move. I can't think about anything else than Evan's smile, Evan's touch, and Evan's words of love.

And this man, this huge scarred man who claims to be my father, has taken me away from the one person meant just for me. That one person who makes the sun shine a little brighter. That one person who breaks down my walls and accepts me for who I am. That one person that I can never ever replace.

He took me away from him, and he expects me to just accept that?

My blood begins to boil. He can't do this. I need Evan. I love Evan.

Why couldn't he have taken Evan too?

"Why?" is all I can muster.

Trying to keep my temper under control, I lower my gaze in an attempt to look pitiful.

He cocks his head to the side as his eyes narrow. "Why, what?"

Keeping my voice soft, I mumble, "Why did you kidnap me and not my mate as well? He needs me. I can't just leave him and—"

"Watch your tone, princess," he says in a low voice, a hint of a growl rumbling in his throat.

Of course he'd see right through me. I told Evan I was a lousy liar!

Grinding my teeth together, I raise my gaze up to his and glare at him. Who does he think he is? The president of the United States?

"You should feel grateful that you're my daughter," he says. "You get to live, while everyone else must suffer the consequences."

Contempt laces his deep voice and I stifle a growl of my own as it tries to reverberate up my throat.

He's lucky I'm tied up right now because I want to slap him. I know I wouldn't stand a chance against him, but his words hurt and I can't even find anything remotely intelligent to counter back with.

Like a child, I say the first thing that comes to my mind in hopes that it might upset him at least a little. Venom drips from my voice. "I hate you."

A smirk pulls across his face. He leans forward and runs his fingers through a few of my dreadlocks. The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, and I try not to shudder in his presence.

His voice is smooth as silk as he pulls away. "You and everyone else in the world, princess."

Screaming at him, I thrash about on the ground like a fish out of water. He just gets to his feet, laughing, and leaves.

"Give her more wolfsbane," he says to the guy sitting outside the tent. "I don't want her escaping."

Anger seeps out of my mouth in another roar. I search for my wolf, urging her to come forth and tear this excuse for a man to shreds, but can't. The drug is still too potent in my system and has disabled my ability to shift.

My screams of anger turn to cries of helplessness, pain, and heartache.

How could he do this to me? To us? A father would never purposely drug his daughter and force her into unconsciousness.

Tears stream down my cheeks as visions of Evan fill my head.

I'll never see him again. I'll never hear his voice. Never feel his touch. Never have his children. Never grow old with him.

And my poor parents, who took me into their home and lives and raised me as their own without knowing the truth until I turned eleven. Even though they were terrified at first, they still loved me as their own flesh and blood. Will I ever see them again?

I bury my face into the earth.

I'll grow old alone. Alone because there is no way I can stay in Kairo's pack. Not after what he's done.

I hear shuffling and footsteps approaching as the guard enters my tent with a small cup, one of those little plastic ones that are used to measure one to three tablespoons.

Too upset to care, I let him turn me over, but I gnash my teeth together and press my lips in a tight line to prevent him from pouring the liquid into my mouth.

My breath escapes me as I look up into his face. He looks to be sixteen and regret fills his dark brown eyes. In horror, I stare at him, unable to fight back as he pushes me against the ground and holds me down with his knee. With one hand, he grabs my cheeks and squeezes my lips together like a fish. He presses the little cup to my lips and pours the clear liquid. Some dribbles into my mouth while most of it falls down my chin. A burning sensation fills my mouth and runs back into my throat, as well as forward down my chin.

There's no doubt about it. The cheekbones, the shape of his eyes, his dark skin—

"I'm sorry," he says as he pulls away, "but I can't disobey Father."

Tears spring to my eyes, silently pleading with him to set me free, but he looks away. I can tell he's fighting to maintain an emotionless façade. Maybe he heard everything, and feels pity for me, but still, I can't help but wonder why? Why would he agree to this? How could he do this to his sister, whom he's never even met until now?

My tears slide down my cheeks and onto the earth below me as my head grows heavy once more.

I don't fight it because I can't bear it. In two minutes, I lost everything I held dear. My loving parents. My supportive pack. The life I was just beginning to know and lead. My dear, sweet soulmate.

All gone. All ripped away because of him.

He may be my biological father, but he'll never be anything more to me than a monster.