8. The Silent Killer

A series of audible inhalations rise around him as all eyes snap from Ryan to him.

"Evan," Rick growls slowly, his voice laced with anger and warning.

Snatched from behind, his father pulls him tightly to his chest and his arms circle around his torso. His voice is gravely and urgent in his ear. "No, son!"

Evan doesn't struggle against his father, but his eyes never release their grip on Ryan's.

The same murderous look glares back at him, as it did back then.

...

Evan felt his gaze before he saw him. It burned into the back of his skull as his lips caressed hers, sending a shiver of dread to run through his veins.

As he pulled away, she moaned his name softly, and as much as that sound drew him back toward her, he couldn't ignore the glare piercing through him.

He took a second to relish in the sight, smell, and feel of her, not knowing that it would be his last.

The lamplight illuminated her ivory skin in a yellowish glow as her thick eyelashes fluttered open. Her eyebrows pulled together in protest at his departure, not understanding why he would pull away from her so suddenly as she clung to him with unabated desire.

He should have taken her straight home after the movie. If only he had known that they were being followed...

Turning, he looked over his shoulder and met his brother's deadly stare as his shoulders quivered, his hands clamped into fists at his side.

"Get away from her," Ryan seethed in a low voice.

With a gasp of terror, Megan's eyes flew open as she gaped over Evan's shoulder at Ryan.

"What the hell?" Evan demanded, as he moved his body in front of hers in a protective stance.

He'd never seen Ryan so pissed before. It shocked him—terrified him even. The look on his face resembled a blood-thirsty killer. If it weren't for the murderous look toward Megan, he would have lowered his head in submission, but his pounding heart ordered him to stand his ground.

Ryan growled. "I told you to get away from her!"

Over his shoulder, he whispered to her. "Run. Don't look back."

"But—"

"Just do it!"

"Goddamn it, Evan! She's mine!" Ryan roared as Megan turned and fled.

Her heavy footsteps thudded on the pavement behind him as he turned his attention back to his brother. Quickly, he lunged for Ryan as he dashed forward after Megan, and managed to grab his arm.

"Dammit, Ry! What's your problem?" he demanded as he struggled to restrain his older brother.

Ryan had always been bigger than Evan. Stronger, smarter, bolder—but Evan was faster. He knew he wouldn't be able told hold his brother back, but he needed to calm him down and give Megan enough time to get away.

This was all so crazy—what was his problem?

"Mine," Ryan said again through his teeth. "She's mine!"

It finally clicked. Horror registered in Evan as his heart skipped a beat. Megan was Ryan's mate? But how? She was human. That wasn't possible, was it?

He twisted out of Evan's grip and pulled his arm behind him, twisting, twisting, and twisting. Evan screamed in agony as his arm was ripped out of its socket before Ryan released him and Evan fell to his knees with tears of pain blurring his eyes.