19. Reunion

Zara's POV

----

It takes a few attempts to get up from my chair after Muse cuts the binds from my wrists and ankles. With the lack of fluid intake and the lack of movement for several hours, it hurts to move and find the strength to stand on my own two feet.

My wrists ache. The bandages from the cuts on my wrists from being bound before at Kairo's camp have been ripped and soiled.

Muse curses when he sees them, but says nothing about it, other than, "Derrick will have to take a look at it."

"What happened before you got here?" I ask as I stretch out the kinks in my back.

"By the time Father realized you guys were no longer behind us, our driver pulled out a gun, but Father anticipated it and managed to get it from him and shoot him. He ordered Anton to drive Jamal and Malkom to one of the safe zones while he and I turned around and ran here."

He shakes his head. "By the time we entered the territory and got wind of Ben being killed, the howl sounding the alarms of war sounded. We managed to stay ahead of the warriors coming in from the north and got here just in time to catch Ryan trying to strangle your mate to death."

I can't help but gasp at that. "Is Evan alright? How did you know he's my mate?"

He smirks and taps his nose. "Our wolves could smell you on him, and him on you when we first got you. It's not hard to figure out. And he'll be fine. Derrick will check him out. Ryan's in far worse shape."

His expression darkens. "And if what you said is true, he deserves far worse than he got."

Relief floods over me. Evan's okay. He'll be okay. "Where's Evan now?"

We step out of the room and I lean against the wall for support as we walk through the dark hallway to the stairs.

"In one of the isolation cells in the basement. Father has claimed him and ordered no one to touch him. He'll be safe."

A series of howls ring out, causing me to freeze in place. Muse stops and listens for a moment.

"He's calling everyone back to the house."

I stare at him as he walks away to the stairs and takes one step down before I call after him.

"Wait. What does that mean? Is he calling off the war?"

He stops and looks over his shoulder at me before shrugging. "Maybe. Probably. This is Ryan's war, not ours. We just make it happen."

He turns and trots down the stairs.

Huh?

"Wait, what?"

I pick up my feet and hurry after him, relieved that my legs feel a bit stronger now. I still don't catch up to him until I reach the living room.

The living room is empty, but movement in the kitchen catches my attention.

Pausing, I glance from the kitchen to the door leading to the basement where the cells are.

Evan's down there.

My heart skips a beat. I don't even care if I get caught, I need to see him.

As I reach for the doorknob, Muse calls out behind me and I stiffen.

"Hey. He's in no condition to run and soon the house will be surrounded. So don't even think about trying to escape."

I swallow and glance over my shoulder to catch his eye as he leans casually against the frame of the entryway to the kitchen.

"Wasn't gonna."