15. Break

Huddled together on the floor in the living room, I cradle Ben's body in my lap while Eyrica is sobbing against his shoulder and petting his head.

Her heartache grips me, giving me strength. Strength to be strong when she can't.

This injustice will not be forgiven, nor forgotten. Ben will be avenged. One way or another, Ben's murder will not go unheeded.

Even though Burk was the one who prematurely pulled the trigger, it was Ryan who sent him to kidnap us.

This was Ryan's mistake. And he knew it.

Emily is sitting next to us, her arms around both of us, rubbing our shoulders and trying to lessen the pain in all of our hearts.

"He was a good kid," Emily says, more so to Eyrica than to me. "Kairo was proud of him."

I study Emily from the corner of my eye. How would she know that? She wouldn't just say that to try and make us feel better. She isn't that type of person.

As if sensing my stare, she looks up and catches my eye. "He'll come to avenge him. I know he will."

Her voice is hushed and her eyes flick to the guard standing a few yards away from us, a gun in a holster at his side and his arms crossed over his chest. If he heard, he makes no indication. He shifts his weight from side to side. Even with a cool mask of indifference, the air around him is one of unease.

The front door bangs open and Ryan stomps in. Anger radiates off his shoulders as his murderous eyes take in the three of us huddled together around the dead body.

He curses as his eyes take in Ben before catching mine and narrowing.

I hold his gaze, not giving him the satisfaction of lowering my eyes in submission or fear.

Slamming the door shut behind him, he strides toward us.

"Take him," I whisper to Eyrica as I shift Ben from my lap and into her arms.

Taking a defensive position, I slip in front of Emily and Eyrica, using my body as a shield.

I may not be strong enough to take on Ryan, but I'm the strongest one in our group and I have to protect them from whatever Ryan throws our way.

He pauses a few feet away from us. His fists clenching and unclenching at his sides.

"Give me the boy," he says. His voice is low, firm, masking the real emotions swirling deep within him.

"Why?" I demand. "So you can bury him and hide the evidence? Not gonna happen."

He takes a step toward me, his eyes bearing down into mine.

I rise to my feet so that we're on even ground.

Challenging him.

I don't miss the handgun tucked in the back of his jeans, but he doesn't reach for it.

"Give me the boy," he says again after staring me down for a minute.

"No."

He grits his teeth. "You have no idea what you're dealing with, little mate."

I raise an eyebrow in challenge. "Oh, no? I know Kairo will string you up by your balls if he doesn't outright kill you for what happened to Ben."

I don't actually know what Kairo will do when he finds out what happened, but I can't let Ryan know that. He should have thought about that when he tried to kidnap me.

I don't miss the fear that flashes briefly in his eyes.

He's scared shitless by Kairo.

As he should be with Ben's blood on his hands.