9. Possessive Much?

Seeing Evan break down is too painful for me to bear.

I can't tell him that my father is behind my kidnapping, not Ryan. That once all of this business with Ryan is over, Kairo won't set me free. He's made that clear that I'm his property now, along with Emily and all of my half siblings.

I can't reassure him that Ryan can't touch me—even if he wanted to.

I don't know what the deal is with Ryan, Kairo, or even Jade for that matter, but I know I have to keep my head low, and my guard up. I need to fool everyone into thinking that I've accepted my fate. I can't even reassure Evan of my plan. I just hope that he doesn't give up on me because I won't give up on him, even if it doesn't look that way.

Two equally powerful men follow Rick and Clyde into the house to discuss matters for some ungodly amount of time. I avoid everyone's gaze, clamping my eyes shut and closing my ears from the sounds of crying.

Be strong, I remind myself.

This is the only way I know how.

When the alphas leave the house, Rick gives brisk orders for them all to leave the territory.

No information is leaked out for me to hear. Maybe that's for the best. I can't count on them to save me. I have only myself to rely on.

I avoid making eye contact with Evan before he leaves with everyone else.

There's some shame in being held hostage, but more than anything, I can't bear to face him now. I hate that I'm a burden on his heart and on my pack's minds. Worst of all is that none of them know the truth.

"Get your asses inside."

Ryan's voice cuts through my thoughts after everyone's gone.

I struggle to rise to my feet without the use of my arms, as does everyone else around me.

Jade slides the door open and we trudge inside.

I'm the last to enter and as I step in, a strong hand grips my arm and pulls me back.

Whirling around, I find myself face-to-face with Ryan's cold, hard gaze. He's several inches taller than me and as much as I want to spit in his face, I simper like a puppy instead. Then, of course, there's the gag in my mouth to silence me like the prisoner I am.

He grabs my face between his fingers and squeezes my cheeks and lips together in his callus hold. His grip is so fierce that I feel his nails digging into my cheeks where the cloth gag can't protect me. Tilting my head up, my eyes lock onto his and even now, I can't bite back the hate I have for him.

It translates through my eyes as his narrow down at me.

"Kairo thinks he can have you all to himself. He's seriously mistaken."

Jade's quick to react, and grabs his arm to restrain him. "Harm a hair on her head, and I'll knock your brains out."

Digging her nails into his arm, she retches his hand away from my face.

Despite my attempts to hold back my fear and anger, his grip on my face has brought tears to my eyes. Through my blurred vision, I see her emotionless face as Ryan glares at her.

He pulls away from her with a glare.

"Puppet," he spits.

"Pussy," she counters.

Jade's hand finds my shoulder and she grips it firmly, but not painfully as she applies pressure to signal that I should go inside now. Her green eyes are still fixated on Ryan, but the muscle in her jaw hints at her anger towards his actions.