14. Mission Compromised

A high-pitched tone fills my head as my wide eyes stare in horror at the boy sitting in front of me with blood gushing down his face. His head bobs up and down with the motion of the vehicle as his eyes stare blankly ahead at the arguing men in the front seats. Their lips are flying over gritted teeth and clenched jaws, but their words are lost in the deafening tone.

Between stifled screams, Eyrica is crying and clawing at her brother with her fingers, trying to pull him closer to her, but he's bound to his seat by the belt.

Emily is paralyzed, unable to move, say anything, or even breathe.

As the tone subsides, the pulsing of my heartbeat thunders in my head as Burk's voice drifts though, as if he's far away.

"I had to, man! He was losing control! I couldn't compromise the mission!"

"Do you have any fucking idea how much those kids mean to Kairo? He's gonna go batshit fucking crazy! You just fucked everything!"

"I'm sorry, okay!" Burk shouts back.

Looking back at me, Burk's face grimaces in disgust, remorse, and fear.

I look away quickly, squeezing Emily's hand in mine. That seems to jolt her awake, and she buries her face into my shoulder. My arm slips around her as her body begins to shake.

Holding her is all I can do to keep myself from shaking as well. My gaze falls to my lap, with Emily's hand clutched tightly in my other hand.

With each passing moment, the reality starts to sink in and the shock slips away.

Eyrica gives up trying to reach Ben, and pulls her legs up to her chest.

Swallowing, I look up at Burk's stark white face as he continues to point the gun at us. I catch his eyes for a second, but he quickly looks away.

Coward.

"Eyrica," I say softly, but loud enough that the men in the front can hear. "Come here."

Her head raises, and she glances at me in fear before looking back at Burk.

Burk looks at me before he inclines his head slightly.

She unbuckles her belt and climbs back with me and Emily. Quickly, I wrap my other arm around her small body as she dips her head against my shoulder.

I brush my fingers gently through her small afro as she whimpers.

Looking up through my lashes, I send him a visual message with my eyes.

You won't get away with this.

He looks away and shifts in his seat, turning his attention forward, away from us.

Away from the guilt staring back at him with cold, lifeless eyes.

***

We pull up to the White Peak's former pack house in the outskirts of the Villages of Mount Hood about fifteen minutes later.

There are two guards standing on the front porch with the door between them.

As soon as our driver parks the van, Burk makes a run for it.

"Hey!" Shouting, our driver jumps out of the van and tries to get the guards' attentions. He points at Burk as he dashes to the forest, shifting into his wolf without bothering to take his clothes off. "Catch him! Don't let him get away!"

The pair jump off the porch and transform instantaneously before racing to catch up with Burk.

The driver brushes his hands through his hair, cursing under his breath, and mumbling something about Ryan and Kairo before he glances back at us through the front windshield. His hand rakes down his face as he curses once more.