3. She's Gone

Gasping for air, Evan can't even call out her name as he watches, helplessly, as she's dragged away from him and thrown into a van.

Horror grasps his heart in a vicelike grip as the vehicle peels away with Zara inside it.

Dropping to his knees, one hand supporting his upper body on the ground while the other clutches his stomach, he struggles to fill his lungs with air as his world comes crashing down on him.

Ryan has her. He's finally getting his revenge on him.

Gritting his teeth, he silently vows to end his brother's life.

Time is against him. He knows he has to act fast, and the longer it takes him to find her, the less likely he'll ever get her back.

Pushing that painful thought from his mind, he forces himself to his feet. His body trembles with the shock of the accident, the loss of his mate, and the punch to his solar plexus.

Gathering his strength, he knows that he can't think that way. He has to believe that he will find her alive. They will make it through this, and come out stronger in the end.

He has to believe it because he can't live his life without her.

As his eyes sweep over the wreckage, his panic isn't muted. Their car is trashed. A deep dent runs along the passenger side and when it spun out of control, its left headlight collided with the left headlight of the car behind them.

From the position of their car, they had almost made a one-eighty, but it was more like a one-fifty or sixty turn. The van had cut into their lane, where the man hopped out, yanked open Zara's door, and pulled her out before taking off.

No one in front of them or behind them could have seen the kidnapping take place between the two vehicles.

Clutching his head in both hands, he looks at the traffic around him as he tries to reign in his mounting anger, fear, and grief.

People begin to climb out of cars to offer their assistance. He just wants to scream at them. Scream at them for not helping him when he needed their help only minutes ago.

Of course, he can't do that though. Ryan's men acted too fast, too swiftly, for anyone to be able to react before it was too late.

With no one to blame, and nothing he can do on his own, he accepts help when two people offer it from the car behind him. Someone calls emergency services on a cell phone while Evan goes around to the other side of the vehicle to help Brianna.

Brianna's shaken, but is coming out of her daze and is looking around at the wreckage. As if realizing what happened in those few seconds it took the man to kidnap Zara, her eyes widen as she stares at her older brother in horror.

"Where's Zee?" she demands.

Hearing her nickname, he clenches his hands into fists as the need for revenge grips him, but he chokes back his fury from bubbling up his throat. "He got her. Ryan's got her."

A string of curses fly out of her mouth as she struggles to unbuckle her seatbelt, her hands shaking so violently that she can't get it right away. Roaring in frustrating, she gives up and allows herself a moment to relax and calm down. After a few deep breaths, she successfully unbuckles herself and climbs out of the car, muttering more curses under her breath in the process.

"We'll find her, Evan," she promises her brother. "We'll find her and get her back."

Evan nods, taking a few deep breaths himself.

He knows that he has to remain calm. He needs to be able to think straight and assess the situation at hand.

Never having to make big decisions on his own, he's not sure what to do until the person who called 911 approaches them.