Chapter 11 - Delusions

In the team's third and final day at the ruins, Leah almost fell asleep twice.

The first time, her falling head had bounced her to wakefulness. The second time, she'd made the mistake of leaning her back against the wall while copying down one of the larger murals, and it wasn't until a hand on her shoulder shook her awake that she realised she'd drifted off.

"Leah!" said Kieran again. Leah blinked and sat up, rubbing her eyes as Kieran leaned back, scowling. "You can sleep when we get back to the League, but I fully expect you to get everything possible down before we reach that point."

Leah nodded. "Sorry. Just drifted off."

Kieran's scowl softened into a frown. "I realise you've been trying to make your place on this team, but you've worn yourself out staying up too long trying to squeeze several day's work into two nights. You haven't even recharged your heart entirely, which just makes you dangerous to yourself."

It was true. After the Light she'd used last night, the morning ride here hadn't been enough to fill it entirely. Leah dropped her eyes. "Sorry. Guess I'm just trying to prove that I'm good enough for somewhere."

Kieran sighed and took her half-finished sketch off her. "I'll finish your section. You get up top and recharge your heart." As she stood up to leave, he gave her a look she couldn't decipher. "And for what it's worth, I'll put in my recommendation with Emrys if joining the cure team is still what you want."

Leah wasn't sure she was still dreaming. It made sense, if he wanted Terrell back, but surely there were easier ways to get him back. "You'll--what?"

"If he still thinks you'll do more good in the field, you'll have a place on my team," said Kieran, not bothering to repeat himself. "You're rough, but you have a lot of potential. Just remember to look after yourself in the middle of your work ethic." He waved his hand towards the ladder. "Now go. I don't want to see you in the dark again until your heart's completely full. This once, I'll even forgive a nap."

Leah nodded her thanks and climbed the ladder to the surface.

She was dozing against the side of the hut, heart in full view of the sun when the others surfaced. When she moved to pick up the glider she'd shared with Kieran this morning, he stopped her.

"I don't trust you to drive it at the moment," he said, taking the glider from Leah. "Mira! You're swapping with Leah."

Leah wandered towards the now-free spot on the back of a glider, only to find that Kieran had paired her with Sef.

Sef grinned as she walked over. "You look a little worse for wear. After only a three-day expedition, too. Geez."

"Shut up," said Leah, climbing on the back.

"Sef's glider taxi, at your service!"

It was strange taking the backseat. It was a little more secure against movement, but the lack of control unnerved her the most. As Sef controlled the glider, Leah found herself making slight adjustments to his driving on her non-existent crystal. He had a tendency to lean too far left. It bugged her that she couldn't fix it.

They didn't return the gliders to their lodgings like the previous two days. They took them instead to a garage a few blocks away filled with all kinds of wonders Leah could barely comprehend--though none as sleek or impressive as the gliders were, she had to admit.

With the gliders safely locked away, they walked the last few blocks to their lodgings. Outside the foyer, Kieran stopped them.

"Tidy up, pack your bags, and meet on the roof in twenty metres with your Displacers ready. No one leaves until their rooms are the way they were when we arrived." His eyes slid to Leah. "If you've managed to lose your Displacer, come and see me beforehand so I can make arrangements."