Chapter 15 - Intruder

Leah spent the next day trying to make sense over the damned symbol strings.

They were complicated--far more complicated than anything she'd seen before. They went past simple descriptions of the pictures, things she could figure out from context alone, but she'd be damned if they were going to beat her. Even if it meant putting the underground temple's murals aside to decode the simpler, straightforward symbols inside the borders from the expedition team's ruins, she was making progress.

Slow, painful progress.

It was paying off, though. Already she'd got the general idea of one of the murals that'd caught her eye. It seemed to be some kind of ritual. Something to do with the Life from Light that appeared everywhere on the walls of the temple. Whether it was how to summon it, wield it, or invite it to tea, Leah had no clue.

But no matter what, she was going to figure it out.

*+*+*+*

Leah was starting to seriously regret signing up for Kieran's training sessions.

"Again!" he called as she clumsily deflected his strike.

They had an audience, now. Word had got around of their first session, of a mixed blood training a pure, and now there were several sets of eyes watching every single one of her screw ups. She couldn't stop herself glancing at them, hoping that they'd disappeared somehow.

Her eyes on them, she completely failed to see Kieran's slowed attack and subsequently missed her block, Kieran jabbed the tip of his stick into her chest.

"Hey!" she said, jumping back. "What was--"

"I don't want you to worry about them," said Kieran, waving his stick at the people gathered around the edges. "I want you to worry about you. You get distracted too easily, and that'll get you killed."

"I wouldn't--"

"Then damn well prove that to me," said Kieran. "Again!"

And so it went for the next hour. Leah would try to keep her concentration as Kieran made demands and pushed her body further than he had last time. He had her run while performing the drills, chased down and motivated by the stick in his hands. When her legs wobbled so much she could barely stand upright he would allow a small break in the form of crossbow lessons. It was the only time she ever got to actually use her Hilt in training, and even that felt useless as the targets moved and her Light-formed bolts far too flew wide.

When they were done, Kieran called her over.

"Leah," he said, and she braced herself. "You're going to have people watching things you do from time to time, and you're going to have to learn to deal with it. Ignore them, and focus on yourself and what that head of yours is telling you. Don't let a few idiots who draw joy out of the torment of others ruin anything for you, do you understand?"

"I understand." Even if she didn't think she could ever do it. She was far too conscious of the eyes that followed her, judging. Staring. Waiting for her next mistake, of which there were plenty.

"Good," said Kieran, clapping her on the shoulder. His touch was comforting, a small gesture that meant far more to her than a simple commendation. It was proof that maybe she wasn't entirely a screw up. That someone believed in her. Sort of. "Group training is the day after tomorrow, so we'll be doing that instead of the one-on-one. I expect nothing but your best."

"I wouldn't give you anything else, Kieran."

He nodded. "I know. You're not the kind of person who I'd worry about half-assing their pushups when I had my back turned, unlike a few others in the team. I'll see you then."