Chapter 4

Walking into the hallway, I move cautiously to the living room. Man, Ross's house looks a lot different in the dark. I can barely tell where I am. As I reach the doorway to the living room, I here something. Like laughter, almost, but muffled. Quietly, I reach for the doorknob, and slowly turn it. Pushing the door open a crack, I can see the outline of Ross, bent down over his phone.

Opening the door, I step inside the room, onto the carpeted flooring. Ross's head pops up from his phone as he glances over at me. A slight smile creeps onto his lips as he waves slightly. "Oh, hey Jin! I'm sorry, did I wake you?" I shake my head. "No, actually, I just woke up by myself." He sighs a bit, in relief, then pats the couch besides him. I walk over, slowly, to the couch, and take a seat next to him.

Leaning over me, he reaches for the lamp, which he clicks on. My gut slowly turns a bit, almost in anxiety, but I shake it off. I always get weird at nighttime. Back in his original seat on the couch, Ross blinks as a dull light fils the room. He lets out a small laugh. "I really need to get that bulb replaced". I laugh. "Yeah, its kinda dull."

He glances over at me, smiling. "Hey, Ross?" "Hmmm?" He cocks his head slightly to the side. "What time is it?" He turns to his side, grabbing his cell phone. Glancing down at the phone, he presses the power button and it turns on. "2:37, to be exact." I groan, pulling my hands through my hair. "Well, so much for getting a good sleep. I can never get back to sleep once I wake up."

Ross turns his phone back off. "I'm like that too, except I don't usually wake up this early." I laugh. "Yeah, me neither." Ross sighs. "Well, I might as well try to rest, although it won't work. At least I'll be rested a bit before work." "Yeah, me too." I get up to go back to bed, before I remember something and turn back around. "Hey, Ross?" He looks up at me. "Yeah?"

"Why aren't you sleeping in your own bed? Its your house, after all." He lets out a small giggle. "Yeah, and you're my guest, plus my best friend. I can deal with the couch for one night." I smile. "Hey, thanks, Ross. It means a lot." He returns my smile, and I tense up a bit. "No problem! Anything for my best friend, Jin! Night!"

Turning away, I yell back"Night!" before covering my mouth, remembering that others are probably trying to get to sleep, too. Being me, I hear Ross chuckle. "And goodnight to you too, neighborhood!" I laugh as I walk out of the room and shut the living room door. I've always wondered why Ross has a door to his living room. Obviously he doesn't want an open concept house, which has always been the one thing different about him.

I shake my head. Why do I always dwell on such meaningless things? Oh well, it doesn't matter. I'm too tired to think anyways. Walking down to Ross's bedroom, I take a deep breath. I might as well try to sleep, but I know its not going to work. Thats okay, I've functioned on less sleep.

As I enter Ross's room, my stomach suddenly turns again. This is so strange. I guess the lack of sleep that I've been having the past couple of weeks has finally taken its toll on me. First falling asleep at the offices, and now this. Sighing, I walk back to Ross's bed and lay down.

Wait a second, since when did I go under the covers? Glancing at my arms, I notice something covering them. I jump, before realizing that I'm still wearing Ross's coat. Laughing in relief, I pull myself under the covers and hug his jacket tightly. Maybe sometime, I can get some sleep. But for tonight, at least I'll feel secure.