Chapter 5 - Evil Mornings

I yawn as I watch the Fire Ferret's train, Korra looked so drained yet they were only warming up. "What is the big idea with making me train early?" She questions. She became an official member of the Fire Ferrets and now trains most mornings with them and much to my displeasure she drags me to them as well. "The morning is evil." 

"We're rookies, so we get the worst time slot in the gym," Bolin says as he catches the ball they are passing to each other. Over the few days we had known the boys, I've seemed to developed a small crush on Bolin. He was kind and goofy, but it was obvious that he had feelings for Korra.

"And you're the rookies of us all, we gotta get you up to speed if we wanna survive in the tournament," Mako explains. He was a good brother and looked out for him but when it came to dealing with Korra he always went about it the wrong way. Trying to be dominant and bossy but she doesn't respond to that well. "Deal with it!"

"You deal with it!" Korra says annoyed. She pegs the ball at Mako making him fall back and onto the ground. We all laugh at his expense, I turn to the entryway as a man enters the gym. He seemed sleazy and I made me uncomfortable. 

"There are my little hard-working street urchins," He says, I stand up from my spot and move so Bolin was between me and the man. I've always found taking after my mother a blessing when it comes to height, I've always been better at stealth then my Dad. The man turns to Korra, "It's an honour to finally meet you, Avatar and you, Master Nini."

"Are you are?" Korra asks him as I stay silence watching him carefully. I'm sure he was an alright guy but I didn't want to take any chances, especially when my gut was agreeing with me. 

"Butakha. I run this whole Pro-bending, shebang. Here's your winnings from the last match." He shoves his hand into his pocket and pulls out some money, Mako goes take it but Butakha pulls it back. "Ah, ah, ah not so fast. First, you owe me for the Avatar's new gear, gym and equipment rentals from last month, rent on your apartment and a personal loan for groceries"

After Butakha took the money, there was none left. We all glanced at Bolin who looked guilty, "What? I'm a growing boy." He rubs his belly and I notice a small creature sitting on his shoulder. It was an actual Fire Ferret, I have never seen one in person. After this man leaves it will be my chance to play with it. 

Butakha was about to leave when he turns back to the boys, "Oh, and one more small item of business. The Fire Ferrets need to ante up thirty thousand yuans for the championship pot." I stare at the man shocked, that is a lot of money. Bolin repeats the price, his eyes wide open "Sorry kids. You got 'til the end of the week to come with the dough or else you're out of the tournament." 

He pats Mako's shoulder then leaves the room, the boys watch his retreating figure still stunned. They look down at the floor, I can't imagine how upsetting this news is. It is no secret that they aren't a rich pair. They both look up at Korra turns to them, Bolin looks at her desperate, "You wouldn't happen to have a secret Avatar bank account overflowing with gold, would you?"

"I got nothing, I've never really needed money. I've always had people taking care of me." Korra states pulling out her pockets and they were indeed empty. Avatar Korra was raised in a compound in the Southern Water Tribe by the White Lotus, a ploy to keep her safe from another attempt on her life. 

"Then I wouldn't say you have nothing," Mako says walking over to his bag. I watch him curiously, I have not heard Mako be so bothered by a small piece of information. Korra tries to apologise but Bolin interrupts her. 

"No, it's alright. It's just ever since we lost our parents we've been on our own." Bolin explains. I place my hand on his shoulder and he looks down at me. I can't even imagine the pain that losing their parents brought them, my parents are everything to me and have given me all I have. I know that the only way to thank them is to continue to utilise the skills and gifts they have given me.